Tomatoes- Help please! - What's this?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomatoes- Help please! - What's this?

Please, can anyone identify this brown powdery mildew/fungus etc on my tomato plants?

They are in a greenhouse in grow bags and the brown powdery substance is on both sides of the leaves.

Any remedies would be very welcome.

Thanks

Clipper
    Attached Files

Its always a little difficult to tell but going from the colour, ie its brown spores and not white I'd guess at Botrytis Mould. Sometimes called grey mould which is a little confusing as the spores are brown. Starts at the tip of the leaf and sprerads in a vee shape, covering leaf with the 'mould'. Am sure google will offer you some pictures to compare.
    Geordie

Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure

Comment

I think that avoidance is easier than cure with this, as I remember it's often due to over crowding or inadequate ventilation or that's what I was told when I'd over stuffed my greenhouse one year!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Geordie/Alison,

Thanks for the replies.

I'll explore Botrytis mould with Google and see what I can find.

We've always given plenty of ventilation, but we grow 3 plants in each grow bag. Too crowded do you think?

Thanks
        clipper

Comment

It often seems to start when drops of condensation from the roof drop onto the leaves, and don't dry off quickly enough. So ventilation helps, by preventing the condensation in the first place, and by giving air-flow enough to dry off any drops which do happen.

Interesting article here by Medwyn Williams (Chelsea Gold Medal Vegetable grower) about 'Overcoming Botrytis' http://www.nvsuk.org.uk/medwyn-willi...-show-285.html
          Last edited by SarzWix; 22-08-2008, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X