Courgettes again

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Courgettes again

Anybody else out there sick to death of courgettes?

My OH decided a week or so ago he doesn't like courgettes after having them in a venison stew. He insists he's tried to like them over those previous few days

So, I've been hiding them in things Chillis and shepherds pies mainly. But.......

Having made the biiiiiiiig mistake of not expecting seeds to grow I've got somewhere around 25 plants.

My freezer is stacked with courgette-included sauces, I've given loads away, Monday we had shepherds pie with courgettes, last night courgette fritters - OH liked them and I made a courgette and mint soup which will be part consumed by myself and daughter today with the rest going into the freezer. I might try to hide some in a curry tonight.

If I don't see another courgette again I'll die happy
    Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

they make very good compost
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Just harvested my "big one" 18" long & nearly 4kgs
      I just let it grow for fun!
      The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
      Brian Clough

Comment

aaaaggghhh, I'd never hide that from the OH
        Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

Comment

I really do love 'em - in many different ways, but the easiest that I like is to slice them lengthways using a potato peeler and (tiny bit of oil) fry them off for Sunday morning fry-up .....they look really pretty with bacon sitting jauntily on top and the egg yolk makes a lovely pattern on them
          aka
          Suzie

Comment

I had far too many courgettes last year from nine plants and there are six of us at home to eat them up I ended up taking out the plants because they got so big they were encroaching on others. We left a couple to grow into giant courgettes and my younger daughter took one to school for the harvest festival

Last year was my first year with the plot and I wanted to keep every plant I grew from seed but this year I've been more ruthless and have tried to grow the amount we will eat (even though this meant discarding lots of healthy seedlings). We've still had more veg than necessary though!
            Julie

Comment

Hi
              Courgette cake uses up a lot, recipes don't suggest it but flavour cake batter with ginger, makes a very tasty cake - and Flummery's recipe for stuffed marrow is delicious (on another thread). It includes pasta and I upped the tomato puree in the recipe, used a very small shell pasta and did away with the marrow shells and made it as a pasta. Although it contains a whole marrow, you can't really taste it as such so would be good for reluctant marrow/courgette eaters.
              Sue

Comment

I sometimes put cinnamon or almond essence in my choc c cake.
                My fave way with them has to be pickled~they'll see you thru to next year!I put the recipe on preserving~doesn't sound as fantastic as it tastes~give it a go!
                the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Chutney uses a lot of courgettes.
                  Last edited by Capsid; 20-08-2008, 09:31 AM.
                  Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

this cake is delicious & my lot had not idea what was in it

Chocolate Courgette Cake - Desserts - Recipes - Riverford Organic Vegetables
                    The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

"I've got somewhere around 25 plants"

Gulp!

Could the local pub / restaurant use them?
                      K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Originally posted by Kristen View Post
                        "I've got somewhere around 25 plants"

Gulp!

Could the local pub / restaurant use them?
                        ROFL
                        Been giving them away, thinking about setting up a stand outside T--s-o Have just frozen 3 batches of soup and daughter and I pulled faces at each other over lunch
                        Hayley B

Comment

Bought one plant at a charity stall got nothing off it but a nice chap at my hubbies work has the same problem,a glut of them so we are only too pleased to help him out!

Comment

they are lovely in bread...helps disguise them too....
                            25 plants phew!!!!
                            why not take them to a local fruit n veg place to sell?
                            a roadside stall sounds like a good idea , i killed off my other seedlings so i wouldn't have many plants and let my remaining courgettes grow big as i like marrow chutney made with apple and sultanas mmm!

Comment

Try marrow and ginger jam - I've posted the recipe on this Forum somewhere. Last night I made 6 jars of jam and it ate up 2.5 kg of courgettes. Lovely jam too - you'd never know it's marrow-based, it tastes a bit like gingery lemon marmalade. Lasts for years and makes a lovely christmas pressie.
                              Cheers

T-lady

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X