potatoes blown over, is it a problem?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• potatoes blown over, is it a problem?

the weather was very windy last night, and my potato plants are mostly horizontal today, i thought i should tie them up to the fence, but this resulted in a few of the stems snapping off, so is it ok to leave them fallen over, or should i do my best to get them upright even though some of the stems will snap ....... they are all in flower, but after a furtle/dig the other day couldn't find any potatoes (couldn't get down to them i think)

now i've typed that it sounds like a really daft question, but i'd appreciate your views.

thanks

Lynda xx

Oh Lynda - I had the same problem last week when the gales were a'blowin' down here on the s.coast.

Should have done it before - as I knew the bad stuff was coming - but staked and bound with twine the next day. They're in tubs - so was able to carefully put stake down extreme side of the tub and do same for each of 6 - tied these together as a group rather than individually - there is some damage, some completely having dropped off - but they seem to have recovered quite well and only time will tell if whats in the heart of the tub will Also the flower heads have ll been blown away - which would have been another useful haul for the TPS project next year - ah well!

I think it will be worth staking and getting some sort of support. Obviously if your spuds are well advanced you may pierce one or two - but better than losing the lot if they've got a few weeks to ge yet. I guess if you would be harvesting say in the next 2 weeks it may be best to leave alone as I believe that even with damaged stems the tubers still advance underground.

How did the party go?

Comment

the flower heads are all there, and the stems hadn't snapped ..... till i tried to get them upright, then i snapped a couple ..... they are planted quite deep, and they aren't overhanging anything, i was thinking i'd dig a couple up this week to see what's down there.

party went great ........... ie no one puked on the carpet, and nearly all the food went,(apart from the cakes i saved for later ) and what didn't the dog and cats ate. they seem to have had a good time.

was quite amusing when the cat brought a guest to the party ...... he brought a mouse, that proceeded to run round the gazebo ...... it turned out sunny in the end too
      Last edited by lynda66; 17-08-2008, 06:32 PM.

Comment

I just leave mine, at this time of year they generally start dying back, when this happens the wind will affect them.

Last year I trimmed all the foliage and left the spuds, harvesting them up to 3 weeks later - they were all fine.
        'People don't learn and grow from doing everything right the first time... we only grow by making mistakes and learning from them. It's those who don't acknowledge their mistakes who are bound to repeat them and do no learn and grow. None of us are done making mistakes or overflowing with righteous wisdom. Humility is the key.'
        - Thomas Howard

Comment

i was hoping to get some fruits on it as well,for a go at the TPS thing, so i don't fancy cutting them back they were still looking very green and healthy ........ the ones in the front garden didn't get squished.

Comment

Just leave them lying down, they'll still grow just the same. It's not worth risking snapping the foliage off.
            I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Lynda, I would leave the potato foliage lying where it is. it will do no harm. I've seen whole fields of them flat on their faces and no harm done.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I can vouch for leaving them be. I had concerns about this earlier in the season due a serious seed tuber cock up by my supplier but everything was just fine, and the spuds are cropping really well despite having prone foliage.
                Rat

British by birth
                Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Me too - I say leave them alone. My spuds look terrible, foliage going brown & crispy, foliage lying flat etc.
                  But underneath ... huge lovely spuds. I did them up as I need them, and they're still coming. I reckon to be digging Pink Fir Apples up into December.
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I'd also leave them be. They'll be dug up soon enough.

Comment

ok i'll leave them then thanks

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X