Best runner beans

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best runner beans

This year I have grown Scarlet Emperor, White Lady and Celebration, mainly the last two as I fancied different colour flowers for prettiness. But i have found that so far the celebration and white lady have produced far more huge stringless beans than the scarlet emperors. The birds haven't been picking at the red flowers. Anyway i'm very pleased with my crop so far, and they tend top have to look after themselves as i'm still a bit here and there with my health, but eating my own fresh veg makes the world of difference.

Instead of your Scarlet Emperor I would suggest you grow Red Rum. The set-rate of flowers is fantastic. The best red flowered runner bean variety.
    valmarg

Comment

I will try Red Rum next year, thanks for that.

Comment

Originally posted by valmarg View Post
        Instead of your Scarlet Emperor I would suggest you grow Red Rum. The set-rate of flowers is fantastic. The best red flowered runner bean variety.
        valmarg
        planted three red rum beans this year in an old bin i was going to tip,and have had more beans than i know what to do with!!!
        I've pulled everything off it and its now decide to grow over my gazebo; flower again and produce loads more.........well chuffed
        be growin em again next year!!

Comment

is anyone growing aintree as im going to try this type next year. i would like to know how the taste is and the amount of yield
          my plot march 2013http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvzqRS0_hbQ

hindsight is a wonderful thing but foresight is a whole lot better

Comment

Have grown white lady this year with good results. Also tried yard long beans but they were a complete disaster, think I tried to plant them out to soon. Also have some climbing french beans with blue lake doing the best. Also have climbing borloto but am growing them for the dried beans so a bit early to see what sort of crop I get from them.

Ian

Comment

Blue lake climbing french beans are good
              Have been growing "prizewinner" runner beans this year

Plant them on separate wigwams or the runners will take over!
              ---
              Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Comment

Thank you for that Valmarg. I'll try them next year.
                I grew quite a few varieties this year (got seeds from kind grapes). All did about the same - reasonable but not fantastic. But then it's my first year in this garden so the ground wasn't well prepared. I'll get started on the bean trench and give them a go.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

For some reason I can't get french beans to grow at all. I tried last year starting them off in pots and this year in the ground with no liuck at all. any suggestions as to what I can try next?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X