Is this normal (Chillies)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this normal (Chillies)

I've always thougth chillies grew, and then turned red, but my plant is actually growing red chillies now, despite most of the plant having green chillies around 2 inches long?

I'm not sure what type of chilli plant it is, can't even remember how we ended up with it!

Cheers!
    Last edited by chris; 12-08-2008, 02:05 PM.

I think it's an Apache plant.

The red chillis are just the very smallest ones. You probably wouldn't have noticed them when they were green. They ripen much more quickly than the larger ones, that's all.

Comment

+1 Apache

I've only had one of my chillis turn red and it did it over the weekend
      aka Neil

Comment

So I can eat them when they're red? Can I eat them when they're green too? -- all in all so they're still going to turn red, yep?

Cheers!

Comment

You can eat them when you want but the riper (ie red) ones will be hotter.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Try the green first, the red may be too hot
            aka Neil

Comment

I grew Cheyenne last year (like Apache, but orange) they were great and coloured up green-black-orange. I bought them as plants because they were so decorative, but the kids loved them, I just couldn't grow enough. I meant to grow them again this year, but forgot to put the seeds on my order.
              Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Apache are, in my opinion, pretty damn hot when ripe.

Those very small ones probably won't be hot at all, though, so don't get complacent!

Comment

Originally posted by nilling View Post
                  Try the green first, the red may be too hot
                  Just tried one of my red Apache chilli peppers and yes they are a little hot

Comment

i picked my first chilli today all green but just 1 has turned red,, tentatively took a nibble and rather disappointed to find it wasnt hot at all didnt really know what to think it had no heat, i too have lost the label but thought it would have at least a bit of a kick to it do you reckon theyll all be the same or will they heat up the redder they get?

Comment

some of our green chilis are just like eating a green pepper...

Comment

Watch your eyes when chopping them.
                        One hot summer I just scratched the side of my brow.
                        But with the sweat it must have got to my eye.
                        Agony for about 30 mins.
                        Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Comment

i chopped a chilli up tonight...an hour later chewing my finger nails...lips hot lol

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X