Tomatoes Ruby Different ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomatoes Ruby Different ?

Last year was a complete wipe out as far as my outdoor tomatoes were concerned.
    However the year before was great!
    I grew one called Ruby "Tropical Ruby" to be precise.
    It was great, tasty, thin skin small pear shape with a very distinct "bright" scarlet colour.
    I grew them this year but they seem very different.
    They seem chunkier and are orangey/red in colour. They have thick skins and don't taste much. ( My yardstick is Sungold! ).
    When I look the packet was from Marshalls, it may be the previous were from a different supplier.
    Has anyone ...
    1) Seen the difference ?
    2) Noted that the same variety from different suppliers differ ?
    Thanks
    Jim
    Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Grew Ruby indoors and out last year. Great tomato. Scarlet, round, thin skinned and delicious. For long and complicated reasons, late sowing this year so fruits still green and very immature, but have noticed that they are forming pear shapes. Confused? I am! Even from same packet as last year. Thompson and Morgan.

Good luck!

TGR
    TGR

Comment

I've grown them a couple of times. Mine were from Marshalls. They came up the same each time though but I didn't think them worth pursuing. Haven't bothered this year. As they are an F1 hybrid, I wonder if they are not fully hybridised (not completely pollinated by the other parent but partly self pollinated) and you are getting some seed which is one of the parents? It's the only reason I can think of why an F1 should show any variation.
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X