Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Runner beans turning reddish brown

Hi,
    This is my first year growing veg and I have a bumper crop of runner beans, but some of the bean pods get reddish brown colouring instead of being totally green. It seems to be worse on the plants that I have in tubs and better on the ones in the garden plot. What is this colouring, is it safe to eat them. I feed the beans on tomato food every other day. regards Paul

They do this as they age; it's normal. Keep picking them young!
    Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Thanks mark, presumably they are still perfectly edible even though they are a purple colour.

Comment

sorry also meant to say some of the pods already have this colouring when they are very small

Comment

I don't see any reason why they are not edible.
          Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Plot holder next to me was showing me beans today with the same colouring. His looked to be old and looked tough so I would have just composted them. If you haven't got many beans then try cooking them, but keep seperate from other beans just in case they are tough or stringy. Have harvested some of my own beans today 6 different varieties.

Ian

Comment

They don't need feeding every other day!
              Once a week would be ample.
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X