potatoes in flower

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• potatoes in flower

hi all, my potatoes are in full flower at present and a gardener friend told me not to harvest any soon as flowers die but to wait two weeks. said if you lift soon as flowers die potatoes will be very waxy but dry out in two weeks. any truth in this.
    never be afraid to ask because a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

A bit of truth, but it very much depends on variety. Some earlies are ready before flowering, but if it's a maincrop variety, he's right - having said that, you could lift a plant or two if you are keen.
    The waxiness is definitely dependent on variety.
    Rat

British by birth
    Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
    http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

sorry to hijack your thread,thought it might be of some interest,if potatoes are planted outside in the ground for later in the year,will a covering of fleece be enough to protect them from any frost,i was wondering if it worth a try,what have your experiences found.
      Last edited by lottie dolly; 31-07-2008, 07:32 AM.
      sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Some of my flowers were still on when I harvested my first spuds. They weren't waxy at all. I guess the only thing you can do is have a furtle, or whateve they call it!! Just have a nailbrush handy!

Comment

I've never heard that tale before - and I'm an old wife! I certainly couldn't wait 2 weeks for my earlies - impatience might as well be my middle name.
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X