No announcement yet.

Purple Sprouting Broccoli Help Please!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purple Sprouting Broccoli Help Please!

Hello!

I planted 4 psb plants, one the slugs decided to live in, one flowered and the other 2 are more leaves than broccoli!

Have they bolted or am I being impatient? They've been in since the 7th of May.

Regards

Clare
    Hand-made Ratty Gifts for Rats & Humans www.ratanon.com

What type are they? Could be that the first one cropped earlier than it was supposed to and the others are biding their time.
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

These are supposed to be a winter/spring veg
      The greatness comes not when things go always good for you,but the greatness comes when you are really tested,when you take,some knocks,some disappointments;because only if youv'e been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain.

Comment

The two that are all leaves sound as if they are quite normal. PSB are huge plants but shouldn't be forming florets until well into the new year. March to May usually!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Cloud View Post
          These are supposed to be a winter/spring veg
          I think there are 'modern' varieties that crop late summer Cloud.
          Happy Gardening,
          Shirley

Comment

God darn it new fangled thingys!!
            The greatness comes not when things go always good for you,but the greatness comes when you are really tested,when you take,some knocks,some disappointments;because only if youv'e been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain.

Comment

With the knowledge that PSB grows into a very large plant, I planted out three plants. The slugs ate the lot in the first night.
              Disheartened of North Wales.
              I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

I lost 40 late psb seedlings to the Flopsy bunnies the other night (ggrrrrr)
                Oddly, they didn't touch the early (Rudolph).
                Tx

Comment

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies, it seems my impatience is getting the better of me! I should learn to read labels!

It's just that I should've put them in a better place as I could do with building the bed that they're in up so I can plant some butternut squash. I don't have a huge amount of space you see. Would it hurt if I built the bed up around the stems a bit & popped some squash in then?

They're 'organic plugs' I got from B&Q, all it said on the box was 'purple sprouting broccoli'. I'm glad the ones that are left sound normal, I've never grown it before (could you tell?! )

Regards

Clare

Comment

Hi
                    No it wouldn't hurt a bit.

Comment

Thanks Zazen999, I'll be sorting that little patch out today then

Regards

Clare

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X