Pumpkin in polytunnel

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pumpkin in polytunnel

Hi can anybody help I have 3 pumpkins growing in my polytunnel my question is do I have to pollinate the flowers my self and if so how do I do it thanks in advance

dont know about polly tunnels, but I had to do mine last year, I have read a couple of examples of what to do, what I did was borrow one of little one's paint brushes and rubbed it round the male flower then transported it to the female flowers that was about it really, but i have also read that you can just take the male flower off pull the petals off and rub that onto the female flowers.

Some one else might be able to give you some better advice soon but it worked for me.

Hope this is of some use.

Comment

Greenfingers is exactly right. Pull a mature male flower (thats one one without a mini pumpkin behind - if you're unsure it must be male!) and rub it on the lobes inside the female flower. You'll be able to see the male pollen being left behind. Its always a good idea to help the pumpkin as the "by a bee" method isn't guranteed and you don't necessarily get lots of immature fruit.

Take care to look at the shape of the male and particularly female immature flower. If they are deformed you may get a weak pumpkin that could self terminate later on. You are looking for a nice symmetrical layout and apparently the more lobes the better!!
      http://plot62.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X