french beans

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• french beans

I am disappointed again this year with my dwarf french beans, they looked great when started but the crop is not great where as my climbing purple beans (blauhilde) are great so next year i would like to grow a climbing french bean any recommendations please

thanks slooky

I'm growing climbing french beans, Cobra from B&Q. The first lot I planted in my garden veg plot, not brilliant but steady cropping, though they weren't planted in the best place so probably didn't get the right conditions. The second lot I've planted on the allotment and they're really romping away No crop yet, but I only sowed them on June 18th and they're over half way up 6-7' wigwams. They taste lovely, so I'm doing them again next year
    My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Dwarves tend to crop sooner than climbers, and I have found purple beans to crop sooner than green (Purple Teepee dwarf, Cosse Violette climbing). My Golden Teepee (yellow) were among the first to crop too.
      I am growing about 15 diff. varieties this year, I get my seed from Beans and Herbs
      Last edited by Two_Sheds; 30-07-2008, 08:34 AM.
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I like to grow mainly the climbing varieties as they give a bigger crop but I also grow a couple of short rows of a dwarf type because in my experience you get a crop a good 2 -3 weeks earlier.
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

My Blauhilde have been fab although they are a bit thuggish and take over. I'm growing Fasold which is great and a heavy cropper but I would also recommend a dwarf yellow bean - Rocquencourt - is a huge cropper for a dwarf and also quite hardy so good for late sowings. I would recommend this if you wanted to give dwarves another go and it is a very, very tasty bean.
          RtB x

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery
            I like to grow mainly the climbing varieties as they give a bigger crop but I also grow a couple of short rows of a dwarf type because in my experience you get a crop a good 2 -3 weeks earlier.
            You always beat me to it Flum! I've just started growing dwarf beans as they give an earlier crop! But we mainly grow climbing beans...try Goldfield these are flat yellow podded, with a delicious melt-in-the-mouth taste.
            To see a world in a grain of sand
            And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

I'd recommend 'Cobra' too, Mine had a major slug/snail attack, but recovered and sent out new shoots - they've just started cropping & the beans are lovely.

Comment

Recommend 'Blue Lake' as a climbing bean - very good harvest, well-behaved, beans freeze well etc etc.
                Growing in the Garden of England

Comment

thanks all have been distriuting the blauhilde amongst friends as we are now away for a week and i want them to keep cropping and not go to seed, was looking at the cobra in the catalouge today so it may be them

Comment

hi
                    try blue lake climbing bean there great

Comment

i have grown purple teepee and they have been very prolific. i did some opera beans too and they were also very good
                      my plot march 2013http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvzqRS0_hbQ

hindsight is a wonderful thing but foresight is a whole lot better

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X