What to do with blueberries.....

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with blueberries.....

I bought three blueberry bushes and just noticed that they are fruiting - this is the first year should I pick them or leave them for this year, also what do I do with them - do I cook them or just eat them as they are. They look really really good, very big.

kwa50
    CraftChallenge.co.uk - Home

Pick them that is for sure. I have now got 8 but only 5 produced fruit this year the other 3 were only aquired this year. Al of ours get used up in blueberry 'muffins'. All we do is use Tesco bulk sponge mix withe the addition of fresh blueberries and baked in a muffin case. Really loverly and I have never got fed up with them, and really quick to make.

Ian

Comment

If you get too many, you could always sell them from your car boot at the local fitness centre, as these are one of the "designer" fruits evidentially.
      I am certain that the day my boat comes in, I'll be at the airport.

Comment

You could eat fresh blueberries with cream, sprinkle them in your porridge or breakfast cereal. Blueberry pancakes are divine. Or, make them into a sauce to top off a crepe. They freeze well, too. If you're the patriotic sort, you can make a white cake, topped with whipped cream, and use strawberries and blueberries to make a red, white, and blue flag.
        Last edited by marigold007; 28-07-2008, 06:13 PM.

Comment

I eat mine standing next to the plant, sometimes still in my pjs
          I was feeling part of the scenery
          I walked right out of the machinery
          My heart going boom boom boom
          "Hey" he said "Grab your things
          I've come to take you home."

Comment

First year for us too....darned birds have beaten us to it before now !!!

Cook them...I reckon they are tasteless raw...but sublime once cooked !!
            ( even 3 or 4 ontop of vanilla icecream is wonderful!!)
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

You have to net them to protect them from the birds. That way, you can leave them to ripen fully.

Comment

Oh, never realised you had to net them - I dont think I have had any trouble with birds (well I have a cat!!!!)

kwa50

Comment

They make a pretty good muffin! Fantastic for breakfast and you can zap them from frozen in a microwave. If you want the recipe I can oblige, but you might find one on google.
                  Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Delish with a drop (spoonful) of port or similar in a pan, dash of sugar, boil until starting to split then in a bowl topped with natural yoghurt as dessert (toasted almonds on top)
                    Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

I like the sound of that recipe.....

I have picked one today and tasted and must say very impressed - they seem so much bigger and a better colour than supermarket ones. Will pick rest at weekend.

kwa50

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X