Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greek basil

Thought I'd share this with you!

I bought a plant from Waitrose ( same price as normal basil - I think) about 6 weeks ago- and it's utterly fantastic.
    Small leaves which are very tender and have the same flavour- regrows nicely too...if you see some- give it a go!!

Google Image Result for http://www.gourmetherbs.com.au/images/herbpics/basil_greek.jpg

We've had loads off ours and you'd hardly notice!
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

We've got a Waitrose in Monmouth (about 20 mins drive from us) so I'll keep my eyes peeled, although I did see it at a local nursery back in the Spring me thinks....
    I don't want to steal your thread honey in any shape or form, but I grew some Lemon Basil from seed this year, and I'm thinking that you need to check that out too sometime? I'm going to harvest it and try making some Lemon Basil Oil.
    In the meantime - shall I put you down for one of Wellie's elusive bottles of homemade Sweet Basil Oil? Then you can claim it when you visit us, no?!

Comment

Yes please!!!! Thanks

I have to tell you that the Greek Basil is STILL in use although it's nearly bald now....it's been exceptional value for money and I'll certainly keep my eyes peeled for another one.
      I think 6 weeks is pretty good as I've used bits regularly ( it's even been on hols to France and back)

I've not seen them in Waitrose recently though, so it may just have been a seasonal thing. Fantastic in pasta too as the leaves are small and don't need chopping.

Comment

Forgive me for my late reply Nicos (!) Wellie was tucked up with Teddy and Trousers at 0450 hrs. I take it he was snoring again luv?
        I shall indeed make you a bottle. Then we'll definitely have to meet before Christmas!

Comment

Sorry for butting in Nicos. Have you tried growing Greek Basil from seed? Its very easy, we've grown a potful but I'm sorry to say we've not tried it yet cos we've so much of the ordinary basil.

- pot of greek basil next to some 'mutant' red & green basil!
          Attached Files
          To see a world in a grain of sand
          And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

I think I saw some pots of it in Sainsbury's the other day, but as I'm growing my own as well as Thai and regular basil, I didn't buy any...

Comment

I saw Greek basil (strangely) in France a couple of weeks ago! I bought some and used it in salads etc, and thought the flavour was terrific. I'll definately try growing it - never have much luck with the ordinary stuff.
              I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

Sainsburys sell it on the regular basis too, right now you can buy two pots for £2 (as I did).

I agree with Nicos, it's a terrific variety. Very fragrant and because the leaves are so small and you only need a sprig or two for a salad, it lasts for ages. My first pot lasted all summer and I hope these two will see me throught the winter. I'm then going to try to grow it from seeds.

Comment

Thanks for that Alexx- my original one seems to be resting at the moment....so I'll be popping into Sainsburys me thinks!!!

Comment

Available in tesco also if you have one nearer.

Comment

In the US we call it Bush Basil, I suppose because the more you cut and use it the busher it gets. It's quite fast growing, so it soon fills in any open areas. As the others have said, it's got a lovely flavor.. and chops up easily because it never gets the wood stem that normal basil has.

Comment

Greek basil..

Hi, im new to this site but noticed that you have some experience on growing greek basil, can you tell me if it is ok to grow it outside during the winter...
                        Thanks,,,,Troy...
                        Troy the otter..

Comment

Hi Troy - no, basil is not hardy so you can't grow it outside in winter- but you can grow it on the kitchen windowsill.
                          Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Doh! Read the first couple of posts and asked my brother, who lives near one of Scotland's only two (I think) Waitroses, to run out and get me some greek basil.

Then read you can get it in Sainsburys and Tesco

Then saw the dates on the posts

oops, don't think I'll mention it to him.
                            Caro

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day

Comment

Caro!!!!!...what ya like gal?????

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X