Onions, Garlic and Toadstools

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Onions, Garlic and Toadstools

I have two raised beds, one with garlic and one with onions- both overwintered. The crops are good but for a few weeks now every morning I find the garlic bed full of toadstools-small brown very pointed caps. There are none among the onions. These beds were made at the same time with the same batch of bought peat free compost.
    The only difference between them is the garlic one stands on cardboard, the onion one on membrane. Any connection here?. Also what is the best thing to do with the compost as I'm now pulling the garlic to dry. Back in the compost bin or ditch it?.
    History teaches us that history teaches us nothing. - Hegel

Your description sounds like 'magic mushrooms'!

They wouldn't be able to grow through the memebrane but could easily grow through the by now soggy cardboard.

I wouldn't clear the compost out at all, just sow/plant whatever your next winter crop may be!

All sorts of fungi assist in decomposition and they shouldn't harm any crops!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Thanks for that Snadger. Good job I told grandson they were poisonous and he mustn't touch them.
      History teaches us that history teaches us nothing. - Hegel

Comment

I don't usually bother to much about mushrooms growing it is usually a good sign that there is plenty of bacteria activity going on in the soil which is usually good for plants. I don't even bother to remove them.

Ian

Comment

i had the same a few weeks ago, only in one bed, i also had loads of strange weeds, that i had been lovingly tending thinking they were veggies lol ...... i reckon they must have come with the compost, as i used a whole bag on one bed, and that was the only bed they grew in ..... last time i get compost from poundstretchers lol

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X