Lovely Cherries

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lovely Cherries

I picked my first cherries today. I only picked 4, one each, but they were lovely. It is a fan trained Sunburst, planted 3 and a half years ago. We had about 6 last year, there are more this year. Hopefully they will all be ready to pick over the weekend.
    I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
    Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Lordy do I love cherries. When we finally get our big garden, I'm definately having cherry trees. In Oz a few years ago, one weekend we bought cherries from a farmer selling by the roadside. They were sooo good that we renamed Saturday Cherryday.

Lucky you!
    I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

Mine is planted against the fence panels, the span will end up to be across 2, with the height limited to the height of the fence. It probably takes about a foor depth, so if there's a handy bit of fence, you don't need a great deal of space. You do need to keep it pruned properly though.
      I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
      Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

Prehaps as you have done it you could give me some advice. I bought a stella cherry last year and it's in a 18 inch pot. I want to fan it up the fence.I have put the wires along ready.I now have to tie the canes on. Do you think 18 inches is big enough. It's on colt rootstock , which I felt was a bit big but the nursery said it was fine. I have had it in the pot all summer and it looks fine at the moment. I need it in a pot as it is near the main drain and the roots could damage this if I just planted it out. I wanted it along the fence so I can hang netting orer to stop the squirrels and birds getting my cherries. Any advice would be most welcome.

It has two chances , up or down.

Comment

I realise, it is easier to cage a fan trained tree, but it still will need doing.

I should think the crop would be much smaller on a fan than on a bush, wouldn't it, even if given it the max space, maybe some 12-18 feet or so?

Suitable varieties that are sold nowadays crop abundantly in England, without much interference.

I don't know how well they fare in a pot, but I would think it to be a lot of work to keep them happily cropping.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X