Tiny carrots & parsnips

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiny carrots & parsnips

I sowed my carrots (royal chantenay), parsnips (hollow crown) & leeks (musselburgh) (from seed) out on the 4th of march. They are growing but I only have tiny roots on my carrots & parsnips and my leeks look more like spring onions!

I know its been a bit harsh this year so I'll let them off a bit, but shouldn't they be bigger?

Regards

Clare
    Hand-made Ratty Gifts for Rats & Humans www.ratanon.com

Give 'em a chance!! I am not expecting to start harvesting carrots until September, parsnips and leeks probably from September/October through to December. I only planted my leeks out last week and, yes, they are about the size of spring onions at this stage.

Be patient!!
    Gardening is a matter of your enthusiasm holding up until your back gets used to it.

Comment

Mine are the same. Leave them a-while.
      My Adelaide carrots were quickest. Up and eaten! Highly recommended.
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I'm glad you asked about the carrots, I was wondering the same! I thought the quick maturing types would be ready to eat by now but still waiting!
        At least you have parsnips, I can never grow them, and they are my favourite veg! aaahhh!
        Does anyone know why some of my carrot tops have turned orangey-yellow?

Comment

That's carrot fly!
          Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

I pulled up a parsnip the other day... was never blessed with patience, and curiosity got the better of me. Anyway, it was small but tasted lovely roasted. I will leave the rest to mature. Nothing to speak of regarding my carrots though.
            pjh75

We sow the seed, nature grows the seed, we eat the seed. (Neil, The Young Ones)

http://producebypaula.blogspot.com/

Comment

Orangey yellow tops are definitely carrot root fly. Not much you can do for this years crop. Try to keep them covered with fleece next year. Carrots and parsnip should be well under way by now, try giving them a kick start with a liquid feed of phostrogen or something similar. Try to get your leeks planted out and they should get going then.

Ian

Comment

weve had a couple of feeds of our carrots...still smallish but very tasty...just pulling them to thin them out

Comment

Can you tell patience isn't really one of my virtues?

It's my first time growing them & I'm getting itchy fingers, not that there's nothing else I can be doing! I have to say that parsnips are my favourite veg too.

Thanks for the carrotfly tip, will look out for that

Regards

Clare
                  Hand-made Ratty Gifts for Rats & Humans www.ratanon.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X