Moving Redcurrants

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving Redcurrants

I have sadly neglected my Redcurrant bushes as they were in a tricky place to access. I picked the fruit without pruning.
    They are about 5 years old.
    Should I cut them back and transplant them or should I start again. Are they deep rooted?
    Eileen

I would prune them now. Cut the oldest canes right out - redcurrants fruit on old wood, but you will keep it in tiptop condition if you try to remove any four year old branches and prune back this years growth. You will have noticed that you only get fruit at the base of last year's and on spurs of second and third year wood. You could move it in autumn or spring - I always go for spring as I have always had more success then, but you will find many who prefer autumn planting. Take out as big a rootball as you can manage, as redcurrant roots are really quite fragile. Redcurrants are massive croppers and it is best to mulch well with garden compost, or any well rotted muck, each year.

Comment

You can root new plants really easily. Just bury a 12" cutting (remove all but the top leaves first), water in and leave it. Next year you'll have a small redcurrant bush that you can move to where you want it.

Works for blackcurrants too.
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Redcurrants

Thanks for the advice. I will do both.
        Tam. How do I tell a 4 year old branch from a younger one?
        Eileen

Comment

If you take out the oldest canes, they will be the thickest and the ones that look old, this will help reinvigorate the plants. I have red, white and black currants that have been in situ for years and still continue to give massive crops. Two Sheds advice re cuttings is good if you want to increase your stock as all the soft fruits are easy to increase (or replace) by cuttings.

Comment

Thanks Again

I will be pruning tomorrow(weather permitting) and try and start some new bushes as well.
            You have also explained why there wasnt so much fruit on this year.
            Thankyou so much

Comment

When I pick my blackcurrants, I cut out the whole fruiting branch, then pick the currants off that ~ picking and pruning all in one go.
              Last edited by Two_Sheds; 07-07-2008, 07:25 AM.
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I cut out the fruiting branch of blackcurrants as they, unlike white and red currants that set fruit on old wood, set fruit on one year old wood.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X