White wild strawberries

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White wild strawberries

My brother gave me seeds of these from russia (the russian name is yellow but the picture is white).

Has anyone ever grown them ?

yeah i grow a few named yellow and white verities of the wild white/yellow strawberries (very very little difference in colour)
    white soul, yellow wonder, pineapple crush, all non runners
    also used to grow blanc alemore which had runners but think its pretty much extinct now, prefer these to the reds, and a very distinct flavour,
    nice compact plants,
    have you translated the name on the packet?(veriatal name) or does it have a english writing on also
    also easy to propagate if you save some fruit, and come pretty much true from seed unless you grow (wild)reds nearby,then i found yellow seedlings took on a red tinge to fruit,
    stewart

Comment

My brother translated it - I do not speak Russian.

Should I plant it now or wait until next spring ? Should the seeds be frozen or refrigerated before planting ?
      Last edited by southlondongardener; 02-07-2008, 04:25 PM.

Comment

i do them at any time of the year, but i wouldnt of thought youll get fruit now till next year, BUT, i find plants started now will be bigger and there bear more fruit next year, as for stratification of seed i find that fragaria(strawberry family) dont really need it, just be carefull not to propagate in hot greenhouse or polytunnel, i find that cant actually prevent germanation, or lead to very poor germanation,
        stewart

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X