Beetroots

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beetroots

How long to cook beetroots - how can you tell if they are soft or not if you cant prod a fork in them, also is it a bit too early to harvest them yet. I cooked two of mine today and although they taste delicious they are very small.

kwa50
    CraftChallenge.co.uk - Home

I roasted the first one with my first lot of spuds, about 30-40 minutes. It was lovely! And there was no purple anyway either - a miracle...
    I'm not much of a beetroot expert though, I don't like the purple that gets everywhere. Might try a white variety next year though
    Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

Well, I'm no expert, but I've just harvested the first three of my first ever beetroots! They were about the same size as a golf ball - maybe a little bit smaller. I wrapped mine in silver foil with just a tiny bit of olive oil and a few cumin seeds and put them in the oven (at about 200ºC) for about 45mins. In retrospect, I think I might have over done them a little bit.

To see if they were cooked, I opened the silver foil and poked a knife through the top of the beetroot (where the leaves joined). Once the beetroots felt soft when I put the knife in, I figured they were done. I think I was checking a bit too infrequently so, like I said, I over did them a bit - they were still very tasty though!

Then again, I'm *fairly* sure you can eat beetroot raw if you really want to so I guess you can't under-cook them. So as long as you don't incinerate them, and you enjoy the results then I'd say they're properly cooked!

Good luck!

Rob

Comment

grated raw beetoot is delicious in a salad, can't wait until mine grow a bit more (currently the size of a small pea)

Comment

a quicker cleaner way to cook beetroot for a salad or sandwiches,is not to boil them,as it splatters all over the place,but to put them on the bottom of a lidded dish with boiling water 1/2 way up the beets,and cook in the microwave,timing,golf ball size aprox 10 mins,for 3beets,a lot quicker,and no mess,and more flavour as is not boiled to death.
          sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Thank you so much.....

everyone, really have learned a lot.

kwa50
            CraftChallenge.co.uk - Home

Comment

I like my beet quite crunchy, not soft. And I wouldn't waste 45 mins of lecky on them !!

I eat them grated raw, or boiled for about 10 mins (slicing or chopping reduces the cooking time). I am not liking the purple staining either, so I might get a Golden one for next year. My stripy beets (Chioggia) won't be ready for a while. http://z.about.com/d/gardening/1/7/v...t_chioggia.jpg
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                I like my beet quite crunchy, not soft. And I wouldn't waste 45 mins of lecky on them !!
                Me neither, after my first attempt! The golden beetroot sound interesting.

Rob

Comment

The best way is to roast them!!!
                  The greatness comes not when things go always good for you,but the greatness comes when you are really tested,when you take,some knocks,some disappointments;because only if youv'e been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain.

Comment

or steam them, then all the goodness stays in, then pickle them

Comment

Just eaten 2 more roasted (done them in with the spuds and carrots, 20 minutes the lot). Mmmm, allotment dinner - had dwarf beans, sugarsnap peas and shelled peas with all those home grown roasties too.
                      Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X