Planting out leeks

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planting out leeks

I sewed leeks a few months ago and they are ready to plant out. I read that the roots and tops should be trimmed and then they should each be planted in a hole 6" deep and pooled with water but not back filled. I have planted out 19 of them using this method, but they do look a bit lost and floppy in their holes. It all seems a bit strange to me......any adice on this most welcome

leeks always do that when first planted but will recover and grow.
    ---) CARL (----
    ILFRACOMBE
    NORTH DEVON

a seed planted today makes a meal tomorrow!

www.freewebs.com/carlseawolf

http://mountain-goat.webs.com/

now in blog form ! UPDATED 15/4/09

Comment

I don't bother to trim the tops & roots but I do make a hole and just drop them in - then water.
      They do look a bit floppy and sorry for themselves for a week or two but they soon recover

Comment

Some gardeners trim and some don't. Doesn't seem to make much difference. I could moot arguments for both:-

When transplanting most of the roots die, its the new ones that keep the plant alive and trimming encouarages new roots to form and makes the plant easier to drop in the hole. Trimming the tops can stop wind rock and tranpiration.

I personally don't trim as I think it could stress a plant that is trying to establish.......but it's up to the individual!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

oh, thats good if they will still grow if you cut the tops off mine are still little seedlings, and the very tips have gone a bit wilty ie kinda curly and a bit crispy i think its cos the compost was too wet, so i've sorted that now, so hopefully they might not die then
          Last edited by lynda66; 28-06-2008, 02:57 PM.

Comment

I've tried all different methods and basically; leeks will probably grow no matter what you do.

I don't do the hole thing anymore - I just dig a trench and put them in there and half earth the trench up. As summer turns to autumn, and i harvest stuff around the leeks the trench fills up and covers the stem. I'll earth up the stem as well if I have time, to get longer blanched stems.

Leeks are great for getting their roots into everything and breaking up hard soil.

I only cut the tops of if I have to move them when they are bigger and more top heavy. They grow back really quickly and I think it does give them a spurt.

Comment

I grow my leek seedlings in one litre pots and there is a generous pinch of seed to each pot 9 probably between 30 and 40 young leeks to each pot).
              At planting time, I knock the clump out of the pot and trim the roots back to about 1 inch. I don't touch the tops. I have always done this but I suppose my main reason for trimming the roots is so I can seperate the leeks for transplanting. I still dib individual holes , drop the leek in and fill with water, though I will be getting some assistance this year as I have 15,000 to do - I reckon a good 5 days will see it done though.
              Last edited by sewer rat; 28-06-2008, 08:17 PM. Reason: Spelling Doh !!
              Rat

British by birth
              Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
              http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

15,000 leeks

Thank you so much for all your help, I feel a lot more confident now that they will do OK.

Comment

Leeks are pretty tough Truly Green and will put up with just about anything you do to them. I trim the roots because it makes them much easier to drop down the hole. I reckon they will grow whatever you do or don't do - so do what suits you.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Alice View Post
                    Leeks are pretty tough Truly Green and will put up with just about anything you do to them. I trim the roots because it makes them much easier to drop down the hole. I reckon they will grow whatever you do or don't do - so do what suits you.

That's the type of advice that I like Going to have a go at planting mine out tomorrow. Last time I tried growing them (albeit about 25 years ago) I sowed the seed straight into the ground and they grew, but only got to about large spring onion size. Let's hope I have better luck this time.
                    I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

The theory of trimming the roots is that it stimulates growth. I have tried both trimming tops and roots and transplanting just as they come out of the seed tray and both seemed to work equally well. And, yes, they look very sorry for themselves for a day or two but quickly get established. According to the experts, if you want more white stem then earth them up as they grow.
                      Last edited by Gwyndy; 28-06-2008, 09:48 PM.
                      Gardening is a matter of your enthusiasm holding up until your back gets used to it.

Comment

I read the other day that root trimming is so that they don't end up getting twisted round in the hole? I didn't trim mine last year and they didn't get very big, this year I have trimmed them, so we'll see how they do

Comment

Is it at all workable to plant leeks in little bunches of 3-4 - would it work like carrots, which push each other apart as they grow? having planted out a tray of leeks separating each individual one I did wonder whether I could reduce the fiddling about by doing them in small bunches next time, cos that was certainly easier with the carrots! Has anyone tried that? Any idea whether it would work or is it essential to plant them individually?
                          Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

my leeks were really weedy looking after i trasplanted them,but now they are doing really well which is great as they cost so much to buy in the shops in the winter,ive still got some more to put in.

Comment

The more space the bigger the leeks. Whilst there is definately a big divide between the showbench example and what is tender for kitchen use, unless they are a minimum of 6" apart they will be like spring onions. I think this would also be so if attempting to sow after midsummer.

Regarding trimming. Once broken the roots die and resprouting occurs from the basel plate only. If you have been growing in pots it is relatively easy to get them out intact.... from a seedbed -somewhat harder. Then, of course, there is the difficulties of getting all that spaghetti deep in the hole. If you trim the roots you should trim the tops to reduce water loss until established again. It helps to line the leeks leaves along the row so they are not flopping in the path later.

That said, I don't usually bother to trim, but then I raise in pots and have been using a method rather like a celery trench to achieve an extra long blanch. The majority of the spoil washes back slowly and they will be earthed up a little in early autumn. Not easy to dig out but excellent results last year. Here is a photo at planting 3 or 4 weeks ago.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X