Harvesting Beetroot

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harvesting Beetroot

According to what I have read - beetroot should be pulled before they get larger than a cricket ball, but also beetroot for storage should not be harvested until October.

I wish to store most of my crop in sand over winter, a method that worked very well last year (some are still good).

But should I harvest now before they get much bigger (some already exceed cricket ball size) or should I wait til October.

Any advice gratefully received.

Andy

Hi Andyjm, welcome to the grapevine. The problem with beetroot is that if you leave it too long in the ground and allow it to grow too big it is not nice to eat. It goes past it. So if you think some of the beetroot is ready I would use it now.
    [

Comment

If you sow beetroot in succession - every three weeks or so - you'll be able to harvest them at their peak. Sow in August or September for overwinter storage
      SSx
      not every situation requires a big onion

Comment

Hi,

I harvested all of mine a couple of weeks ago. They were about the size of a tennis ball and smaller (ping pong ball size). Boiled and sliced they were delicious, tasty and tender.

Clareg

Comment

Cooo, very sporty beetroots these... cricket balls, tennis balls and ping pong balls!
          Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

It's when they are like rugby balls you have to worry Shortie
            ntg
            Never be afraid to try something new.
            Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
            A large group of professionals built the Titanic
            ==================================================

Comment

Erm, I grow Forono which are like cylinders!
              SSx

Comment

try them hot with a dollop creme fraiche with a wee bit of horseradish mixed in, georgous.

Comment

Beetroot has been one of the big successes from the "square foot2 gardening this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxom
                    Beetroot has been one of the big successes....
                    Struth Jax, you don't mean they were football sized do you
                    Last edited by nick the grief; 24-07-2006, 08:28 PM.
                    ntg
                    Never be afraid to try something new.
                    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                    ==================================================

Comment

No just cricket balls
                      And before you ask Nick... I have no idea how large a crickets balls are.

Comment

I am still growing my second crop of Beetroot "Forono", the first lot were between 12 to 14 inch's and 3 to 4inch's in diameter, the flaver was so good my grand kids took the most, so I will not let them know when this crop will be ready

Comment

Hi John, went up to harvest yesterday and lo there were three of the aforesaid monster forono! I was concerned they'd be tough as old boots and woody but they're delicious - never let them grow so large before. They are my all time fave beetroot - have you seen some seed companies are changing forono for cylindra?
                          SSx

Comment

Well, I've been converted! I hate beetroot, or I should say, used to hate beetroot until tonight when I dug up a couple - cricket ball size I guess, but I don't play cricket/watch it or anything (would rather watch paint dry!) but I peeled them and them steamed then gently until they were cooked. Delicious! My OH was well impressed and he loves beetroot! Another success for my little venture into home grown veg! dexterdog
                            Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Dexterdog next time leave the skin on while you cook it. This gives you a better colour.
                              [

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X