When to pick courgettes?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to pick courgettes?

I have a few courgettes growing in containers. Some of them, I believe, have been pollenated as they were growing in leaps and bounds, but suddenly their growth has completely stagnated recently. They're about 2.5 - 3" long, and mostly not very thick, about the girth of a finger.... how can I tell if they are ready to pluck and eat, or if I should just leave them to grow some more?

I don't know what variety they are, just bought them from a garden centre a few months ago.

veg

Hi
    I always cut off the first few at finger size as I find these seem to either drag on and on or they stagnate and then rot. So my first few went on a Pizza on thursday. Plus it seems to spur the next lot on, which are usually more speedy.

Comment

We had our first courgette on Thursday night, in a rissotto with broad beans, mange tout, onions, garlic, peppers and carrots, all from the plot! Only thing I couldnt grow was the carnalloli rice!
      Blessings
      Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
      Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
      Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
      On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Pick them when they are about 10cm long. If your ones start to rot, take them off and compost ~ better ones will come along after.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

If the ones you've got at the moment are stalling then I definitely suggest having them as mini ones (very expensive in the shops so quite posh really!), it will spur on the next ones and they're likely to grow a bit bigger - before you know it one of them will have become a marrow while you weren't looking!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Definitely pick these as babies to make the plant produce more!

Comment

yep ditto
              just done this myself.it works as i did this last year.
              joanne geldard

Comment

If they have got to that size and stopped growing chances are they have not been fertilised and will rot, pick and use them.

Ian

Comment

I ate my first harvested one tonight.
                  New potatoes roasted with courgette , onion and cherry tomatoes.
                  Very yummy and they had a sweetness i have never noticed in courgettes before!
                  I hand pollinated my first two and there was no stopping them from putting on the growth. Its lucky that they flower first thing of a morn before i go to work so its just a quick visit to do the business in the garden while the kettle is boiling to make the first cup of tea.

Wren
                  Last edited by Wren; 14-06-2008, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Hand pollination? No need! Courgettes are quite prolific enough.
                    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

You only need to hand pollinate if you are growing an early crop under cover - they should all be outside by now so not a problem - those big yellow flowers are just built for attracting insects.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

OK I've picked all the small ones - only about 2.5" long and as thick as a finger. They were a bit bitter to taste. I've got one larger one growing which *looks* like it has been pollenated but I cannot be sure! I haven't seen any insects at all this year. I'm on the 4th floor of a central London block and I have resorted to hand pollenating as the female/male flowers don't seem to open at the same time, but I'm not sure how successful I've been as so many of them seem to stagnate after reaching a certain (small) size.

I'm still waiting for my bumper crop!

veg

Comment

It might be a bit late for this year, but if you aren't getting many insects try one of the courgettes with a parthenocarpic habit. This means they don't need pollinating. I got mine, Cavili, from T&M, and have harvested 7 so far, but haven't had a male flower open yet. I picked at about 4 inches, and they were really good. They are also smaller plants, so more suitable for pots. I'll definitely go for these again next year, as last year was a complete disaster, with very few courgettes because of the cold wet weather. Not cheap at £3 for 5 seeds, but I actually got 8 seeds!
                          Last edited by BarleySugar; 17-06-2008, 08:15 PM.
                          I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
                          Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

I don't like the idea of these parthenocarpic plants. It's a way of making sure you have to buy seed next year! If you are not growing an F1 hybrid you can keep your own seed. A big saving on £3 a pop.
                            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Not if you don't get any courgettes in the first place Anyway, I haven't got the space to let one grow into a marrow, I'll still save a lot of money on buying the courgettes. I've already bought next years in T&M's half price sale.
                              I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
                              Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X