Redcurrants

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redcurrants

Earlier in the year I bought 2 redcurrant bushes from my local Garden Centre. However the fruit that has started to appear is starting to look a lot like Gooseberries.

My question is strange, but do Redcurrants start out looking like tiny Gooseberries or have I been gipped?

Are there any thorns on the bush?
    If so it probably is a goosgog, redcurrants start off small and green and there are a lot more to the branch than a gooseberry.

Comment

they do start off green and the actual berries do look a little similar red currents should be round and not oval and current bushes dont have thorns and have larger leaves they also tend to grow in little clusters of berries of about 8 plus and look like they are strung together, where goose gogs you just get 2-4 and they dont look like they are on strings. it will be towards end of june to july dependant where in uk you live before they go red. i could tell you if you had a photo as i grow both pm me one if you have one and i will pm you back tomorrow with a reply, all the best pc

Comment

can you post a picture?

Comment

Heres the picture...there are no thorns on the bush so that says it is a redcurrant, but still looks like a gooseberry
          Attached Files

Comment

Hey banana

They definately look like red currants - but looks like you only have one on the stem instead of several.... they're not goosgogs x you'll be ok!

Comment

They are redcurrants...They turned red overnight and I ate my first one this morning...Hurrah

Comment

Originally posted by Banana View Post
                They are redcurrants...They turned red overnight and I ate my first one this morning...Hurrah
                Raw ? Is that possible ?

Comment

I am actually picking my red currants at the moment. The bush is laden down with them. Tjis is a four year old bush which getds little or no attention. Good luck with yours.

And when your back stops aching,
                  And your hands begin to harden.
                  You will find yourself a partner,
                  In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X