potatoes for xmas?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• potatoes for xmas?

If I wanted to grow some spuds in the greebnhouse for xmas when would I plant them in the buckets and what sort of potato would I buy for this?

Does the greenhouse have to be a heated one?

Thanks, janeyo

Thomson and Morgan sell seed spuds for late planting for Christmas cropping. They can be ordered now and will be sent out when it is time to plant. Don't think the greenhouse needs to be heated but frost free will be required.
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

Thanks, will have a look and get some in. Is it one to a bucket or 2? I had 2 in mine this spring as they were earlies but maybe it's different for the later ones?

janeyo

Comment

I think they are early varieties that are kept cool to stop chitting until they get planted. If I remember right the varieties are Carlingford and Charlotte. I usually put one seed spud per 10litre flower bucket but would say 2 spuds for a 5 gallon bucket.
        Happy Gardening,
        Shirley

Comment

Thanks for that

janeyo

Comment

I usually put 3 Charlotte in a bucket Janeyo. Normally they take about 13 weeks, but in the colder months they'll probably take longer. I'm gambling on 16 weeks. You don't have to heat the greenhouse, but they do have to be frost free. But you can cover them with fleece if you hit a cold patch.
            I go for belt and braces and freeze some of my earlies for Christmas - just in case.
            Par boil about 5 mins. Drain and tip inot a pan of melted butter.Roll about to coat well.
            Cool and place in a freezer bag.
            Come Christmas - defrost the potatoes, tip into a roasting tray (with a little extra oil or butter) and 20 to 30 mins in the oven should do it.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Hmm there is a flaw in my plan!

I was going to order some from T&M, will only need 5 tubers. They cost £2.99, but they want £4.99 postage. With this plus the compost it will make for an expensive xmas treat!

janeyo

Comment

Save some of your own earlies. When you lift the last, put them in the salad drawer of the fridge and dole out dire warnings against eating them. Plant towards the end of August.
                Last edited by Flummery; 12-06-2008, 01:50 PM.
                Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

That's a great idea! Don't they need to be chitted first? The only type I planted this year were Rocket.

janeyo

Comment

dont think they need chitted...saying that have never chitted a tattie yet...long as they have eyes and can see which way they are to be planted they will grow

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X