Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Courgettes....

Hi all,

Sorry Newbie Alert ...... Newbie Alert...... Newbie Alert......

Just found the site and looks very helpful and informative.

Right here we go, new to growing my own last year and had an absoulute nightmare, out of 6 tomato plants, 1 courgette plant, 3 pepper plants and an eggplant but all i managed was a single Tommy and a couple of peepers

Since then I have put in a proper 8 x 10 greenhouse and this year is looking a whole lot better.....anyway reason for my post, I have 2 courgettes that are now ready to cut and really want to enjoy their flavour etc what should I do with them open to offers. At present they are heading for the wok with a little butter and will get servered up on their own as a starter....

Thanks
    Phil

You say eggplant, we say aubergine.
    And you are already cropping courgettes? You're not from round 'ere, are you?
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Ahh that where you be wrong my old mucker.

Down in deepest dorset and have about half a dozen over 5" long already...

Comment

Courgette Risotto, perhaps? I think white wine is in season now too ...BBC - Food - Recipes - Courgette risotto
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Made some mint and courgette soup the other day using one of them cooking idears cards from waitrose.

Minted Courgette Soup with Greek Yogurt recipe - Waitrose.com

found this the other day looking for things to cook with courgettes .Not tryed it yet but if you do let us know

Jamie Oliver - Recipes: Vegetable curry
          Blog

Hythe kent allotments

Comment

Thanks Dave \ Two sheds but just demolished them, cooked in some garlic butter and they were bloody lovely.......hmmmmmm

Comment

Originally posted by The Force View Post
              Thanks Dave \ Two sheds but just demolished them, cooked in some garlic butter and they were bloody lovely.......hmmmmmm
              Quite possibly the best way to eat your first "home-grown" courgettes. if you're growing French Beans, they make a fine addition.
              Sent from my pc cos I don't have an i-phone.

Comment

need to dig the recipe out but once the glut has hit i've got a delish recipe for pickled courgettes.tastes FAR better than sounds,also lush choc courgette cake,will hunt down the recipes over the w\e.
                the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

andi&di,
                  I'm seriously going to need your lush choc courgette cake recipe.
                  Count me in.....
                  X

Comment

CHOC COURGETTE CAKE;
                    115gbutter , 2eggs , 125ml veg oil ,1tspvanilla extract ,300gsugar ,4tblspcocoa
                    350gflour(i use w.meal) ,1tspbicarb of soda ,1/2tspground cloves ,1/2tspcinnamon
                    125mlsoured milk(add a tsp of vinegar or lemon juice to normal milk) ,200groughly chopped dark choc ,2 sm courgettes.
                    preheat oven to 180%c.grease a large baking pan.
                    cream the butter &eggs together till creamy*gradually add the sugar vanilla & oil.blend or sift the dry ingredients together & gradually add to the butter mixture.then slowly blend in soured milk.Add the choc & courgettes(grated),pour in baking tray.
                    bake for 40-50 mins or until inserted knife comes out clean.
                    eat & enjoy!! think like carrot cake you can "almost"convince yourself its healthy cos of the courgettes!!
                    *not sure why it's done this way round & not cream butter&sugar 1st?
                    the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Revenge is so sweet.andi&di you got me there!!
                      The greatness comes not when things go always good for you,but the greatness comes when you are really tested,when you take,some knocks,some disappointments;because only if youv'e been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain.

Comment

Cut in half and par boil some new potatoes.
                        In a small roasting dish slice up your courgette, a small amount red onion, throw in a handful of cherry tomatoes and drizzle with olive oil or a tiny amount of veg oil.
                        Toss the new potatoes in a tiny amount of olive oil or veg oil and a shake of oregano, a bit of rosemary then roast them on a gas make 5 for 40 mins in with the other veg.

The courgettes taste so sweet this way and if you stick a knife in the tomatoes they burst in the cooking .

Flippin yum!!

pic for you.

we had it with steak but it would be great with fish or chicken or on its own. Some aubergine would have gone well in the mix too i think.

Comment

just need to wait for my toms to ripen n will try roasting them..couple of my courgettes looking like marrows already...

Comment

Find a carrot cake recipe and subsitute carrots with courgettes. Very moist and YUMMMMMMMYYYY!!! Haven't done it for a while. I think I used about 20% less courgettes than I did carrots, on account of them being juicier.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X