Flowers on potatoes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flowers on potatoes

My first earlies have been in the ground now for about 14 weeks and still no sign of flowers on them Do all earlies flower or not. They are Sharpes Express which i have'nt grown before. Advice appreciated.

And when your back stops aching,
    And your hands begin to harden.
    You will find yourself a partner,
    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

I've got Sharpe's Express in old compost bags for about the same time and mine aren't flowering either.

The stems stick out about 2 foot above the top of the bag and are starting to flop all over. I've had a bit of a rootle around in there but couldn't find any spuds. I was thinking I might just empty the whole lot out this weekend in case they're hiding at the bottom. It would be very annoying if there was nothing there, though. oh decisions decisions!

Comment

You don't always get flowers on first earlies Bramble, I hardly ever do on mine but I usually wait until the foliage starts to die off before lifting them. (well taking them out of the container!). As Foxhill says just have a feel around in the compost/soil to see if there are any decent tubers, if not just keep watering & leave them a bit longer.
      Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Hi Bramble, not all potatoes flower. Some seem to abort at the bud stage. Leave them until the shaws start to die down then have them out.I'm sure you'll find potatoes in there.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Right then, decision made, they're coming out this weekend. Will let you know what I find

Comment

Thank you all for the helpful advice. Think i will have a dig around tonight and see whats going on. Not always sure which flower and which dont.
            Thanks, Gabrielle.

And when your back stops aching,
            And your hands begin to harden.
            You will find yourself a partner,
            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...