Runner Beans

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Runner Beans

Is anybody else having trouble with runner bean seeds? I just seem to be failing so far this year. They seem to be rotting and I am not over-watering. Have planted some more seeds this morning, wish me luck. What varities is everybody else growing and how are they getting on?

Liz
    Last edited by Lizzy; 26-05-2008, 12:36 PM.

It's too cold then. Sow in a propagator, or wait until it warms up a bit. My French beans are a bit sulky this year too.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Runner beans Polestar germinated in toilet roll inner tubes in cold greenhouse earlier this year. Now planted on the lottie. Where are you sowing yours? I never bother sowing them outside now, lose too many!

Comment

i'm with RL start them off in greenhouse or windowsill never start mine direct outside, and i havent had one fail so far
        The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Originally posted by Lizzy View Post
          Is anybody else having trouble with runner bean seeds? I just seem to be failing so far this year. They seem to be rotting and I am not over-watering. Have planted some more seeds this morning, wish me luck. What varities is everybody else growing and how are they getting on?

Liz
          I started mine on top of the freezer because of the warmth from the motor in early April, planted in large tubs last week in April, the first lot are six foot up and flowering - although I'm not sure what this awful weather will do for them.

It's usually quite mild here, but it's probably a bit colder where you are in Gwent.
          The freezer top has been pretty good for me for getting things going.

Good Luck with the runners

Chilli Gal

Comment

I planted mine in the greenhouse over the allotment. I planted Polestar and Mergoles, so far I have three seeds up, not looking very good for the rest.
            I am wondering if my allotment greenhouse is too damp. I bought a polycarbonate one, which has been erected this year.

Liz

Comment

dont know if this is common knowledge but my grandad always soaks his in water over night the day before he sows them
              http://newplot.blogspot.com/

rain rain go away (2009)

rain rain rain (2010)

Comment

mine were plonked in yog pots and left on the OUTSIDE windowsill on the 12th may. they're up and standing tall now. dead chuffed with 'em, i am

the frenchies in the other tubs aren't quite there yet. but they're poking through...

and the ones in the loo roll tues, haven't done anything yet....

oooooooh i'm soo excited!
                Attached Files

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X