Wild Raspberries

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wild Raspberries

Went for a walk yesterday and found a huge plot of wild raspberries - at least I am 99% sure that they are raspberries. There is quite a lot of 'newish' growth and they don't all have flowers yet. Could I dig some up and take htem home to plant in the garden? Will disturbing them mean it is pointless? They must be summer fruiters - mustn't they? They are just growing in the hedgerow and only the birds are going to benefit and there are 100's of canes. I'd love half a dozen I would welcome some advice.

It's not a good time to lift them ~ they need to be dormant, not actively growing - and you're not allowed to lift wild plants anyway. Cuttings are just about acceptable, so long as you don't (permanently) damage the plant.
    Just buy some canes in the autumn... they're only a quid each, free if you can beg some cuttings.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks 2 sheds - will do!

Comment

Wild raspberries are very small fruited (delicious, though). As TwoSheds says, you'd be much better off buying certified canes. You may still be able to find some about in local shops, but autumn will be the best time to plant.

Comment

Besides, you can still go for lovely walks and pick a load
          "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

Comment

trying not to sound like a complete mook, as I have little to no experience in gardening(as yet).

But I am one those people that like to go for long walks in the summer and see what what wild fuit I can pick. So In my opinion its best to leave them where they are and buy some. You can always take a walk in the summer and pick them then. probably before some one decideds to stick flats there.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X