Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Currants!

hello there!!

I'd just like to share that today when pottering round the garden I noticed that my currant canes (black red and white) all have little fruits forming, and so do my many raspberry canes!!

I don't know if this is special, or bad or ordinary, but it makes me smile!!

I swear, my raspberry canes are both summer fruiting and autumn fruiting, but i only have one variety!! Magical!

And I saw a couple of tomatoes forming too!!

And I saw the first purple sprouting seedling today... I could go on forever chatting about what I've seen!!!

But I won't because I'm tired.

Lucky you!

LOL

Jennifer
    Whilst typing the above reply, I was probably supposed to be doing homework. My excuse: I'm hooked!

Hi Jennifer,

How exciting! Our currants are showing fruit already and we're so excited too - great this growing lark isn't it

Well done you, now all you have to do is decide what you're going to do with your bumper harvest
    A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

blackcurrants

hi, well done you! What are you going to do with your harvest?I ask because i always get lots of very fat blackcurrants and never know what to do with them.I would love to make jam but am diabetic.Ribena type drink would be great ,but how?Any ideas?I ve been giving them away previously.

Comment

'citing innit?!
        Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

currents freeze well, you can get sweetners for diabetics you can cook with, i dont think you can use it for jam but you can for cakes, so put them in muffins, pancakes or crumbles ect, we do for my dad will have to check the sweetners name but i think it came from either boots or hollend and barrett

Comment

I haven't exactly got a plan for the harvest - not expecting oodles of fruit as they were only planted this year. Might make jam if we get enough currants - if not, summer puddings and bakings me thinks (I love to bake, I bake for our youth group!)

I just love growing fruit and vegetables, especially cane fruit - it just grows and the only thing i have to do is occasionally water and feed them (birds don't like my fruit, strangely enough!)

Jennifer
            Whilst typing the above reply, I was probably supposed to be doing homework. My excuse: I'm hooked!

Comment

Originally posted by JILLY JACKSON View Post
              hi, well done you! What are you going to do with your harvest?I ask because i always get lots of very fat blackcurrants and never know what to do with them.I would love to make jam but am diabetic.Ribena type drink would be great ,but how?Any ideas?I ve been giving them away previously.

Type one or two? I ask because I am type one (insulin dependant) and I follow the dafne approach. I made black currant jam last year and it kept us going until last month, I ate it virtually every day! The dafne approach is great, you could live on chocolate cake if you wanted, even with diabetes! pm me if you want more info
              http://365daysinthegarden2011.blogspot.com/

url]http://clairescraftandgarden.blogspot.com/[/url]

Comment

hi claire72,I'm type 2 diabetes,on metformin.\i have only recently started with the computer so dont know what pm is ,sorry.But would like to know what the dafne approach is.Thank you.

Comment

Hi All,
                  Sorry, don't know anything about diabitas but i grow all the currents and raspnerries. I freeze them and in the winter i make smoothies with them every day. Its a great boost to have the taste of fresh fruit in the winter even though they've been in the freezer. Hope that might help someone th use up their fruit harvest.

And when your back stops aching,
                  And your hands begin to harden.
                  You will find yourself a partner,
                  In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Summer smoothies in winter?? That's AWESOME!!!!!!!!

I'm inspired!

Jennifer

Comment

isnt it fab!
                      Yo an' Bob
                      Walk lightly on the earth
                      take only what you need
                      give all you can
                      and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse