Courgettes up the pole

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Courgettes up the pole

I heard that you can grow courgettes up poles in a wigwam kind of way. Anyone done this? What height canes are needed?

I've just planted out three courgettes at base of three canes which are approx 3' high and meet at the top. Any good or am I way off beam?
    aka
    Suzie

I think they firstly need to be sprawling varieties - not sure it'd work with bush types. I thought you had to provide a trellis kind of setup as they have tendrils much like peas which will grab the structure...

I guess it works with squashes too?

Again, I'm probably way off, but it sounds sensible in my head.
    Last edited by HeyWayne; 19-05-2008, 03:46 PM.
    A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

You can do any of the trailing ones, I love vertical gardening and have tried it with manby things.
      Have you tried tromboncino? My mum gave me some last year, they climb great up a wigwam with some wire or string around it for a bit of purchase. They are like corgettes but look a bit rude! I had a great crop and they were hilarious to give to friends too. (Childish Janna!)
      I did some of those tiny pumpkins too, I didn't get many fruits(I had no idea what I was doing) but they looked fab and tasted great.
      I'm trying to climb loads of different squashes this year, I have so much fun experimenting in the garden. Let me know how it goes?
      There are no gardening mistakes, only experiments.

Comment

Don't know. All the courgettes I've ever grown have been bush types, which don't climb or need support.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Well this year I am going to try cucumbers climbing up a wigwam. But courgettes? won't they be a bit heavy? This will need a sturdy structure surely?

Comment

You can grow any of the vine type veggies/fruits on frames, up wigwams etc, all you have to do is to make sure that the structure is high enough and robust enough to take the weight.

At Wisley the RHS grow small melons up frames and that's what I'm doing this year, along with butternut squashes (in a fruit tunnel), cucumbers and courgettes but the round ones.

Suzie, if the courgettes are the climbing/sprawling types, they need to be 6' high and you need to be able to get at the fruit and pick regularly and while they're young because of their weight and size.
            TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

I grew Japanese Climbing Cucumbers during our season which has now finished, but like Two Sheds, have only seen bush type Courgettes.

My cucumbers grew up a trellis about 1.2 metre high and managed quite well.
              I love growing tomatoes.

Comment

The courgette variety Black Forest is a climbing variety. It grows up netting and trellis. We have bought our seed from Mr Fothergills, but I understand T&M now stock them as well. Can recommend them.

valmarg

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X