Too late to sow leeks?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too late to sow leeks?

My books/seed packets tell me that I should have sown my leeks some weeks/months ago. Is it really too late now? If I sow them now, will I just get late/smaller leeks?! Or will they really not germinate at all now?

Thanks,

Ben

I guess it depends on your variety. I am still sowing my Lidl specials .... Leek de Carentan. They are a standing winter sort, so can be sown to end of May.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I haven't sown any yet either. Going to give them a try though - can always harvest small if necessary.
      Happy Gardening,
      Shirley

Comment

I always sow my leeks in May, it means they can go in the gap left by the first early potatoes. It also means you don't have to faff about potting them on as I've actually seen some people do. They seem to grow to the same size as everyone else's. I've used loads of different varieties and they've all been fine. Sow them thinly in a seed tray and dibber a deep hole when they're 6-8 inches tall, chuck them in the hole, fill it with water then forget them until you need a leek in the Autumn
        Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

No problem BL, in fact until I joined this list I used to sow them much later than this.... Yes, you will get smaller leeks (but I prefer smaller leeks...) but they continue to grow very slowly throughout the winter when conditions permit (and in Kent I'd have thought that's quite likely). I've still got a few on the go from last winter - some are now going to seed. But assuming you're not going for champion mega-leeks (in which case you are way too late ) sow them and enjoy throughout the Winter and Spring 2009 (eek! whatever happened to 2008?)

bb.

=

Comment

I agree they'll be fine.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X