Different kinds of asparagus?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different kinds of asparagus?

Hi everyone. We took over our garden last December and have been so busy with it and an allotment too that I havent really looked at the front garden much. Its an old cottage garden type thing but amongst everything now I see what looks just like the asparagus I planted in the back!! Is there a kind that is non-edible? It has 3 long tips on it now so what should I do? Can I move it later maybe if it is edible??

It was often grown in the cottage-type flower garden so its fronds could be used in flower bunches - much like you get when you buy bunched flowers. As far as I'm aware, it's the same stuff. I don't think asparagus moves well. You could try cutting and cooking a bit - if it's good, cut it from there, not from your veg plot. Cottagers were great at mixing edibles and ornamentals together and it has a lot to recommend it. You confuse the attackers for one thing! See carrot fly finding a carrot in a bed of strong smelling flowers?
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Thank you Flummery - just wanted to make sure that there wasnt some kind of non-edible variety! I remembered something about asparagus fern in the back of my mind but not sure what it was....... its about 3 foot tall now so I guess I will have to wait until next year to try it!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X