Is it too late to sow basil?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it too late to sow basil?

Have I missed the boat so to speak on sowing some basil and the likes? If not, what's the best way to do it?

Hi - I sowed some basil (Sweet Basil) only last week, and it's coming along fine! Basil only needs a little covering of soil and after it's been watered, keep it on the drier side. I've over watered before and they've not done well at all. Be patient though...I find basil a bit temperamental!!

Good luck.
    "A cat sees no good reason why it should obey another animal, even if it does stand on two legs."

Comment

The basil I sowed a couple of weeks ago is doing far better than that I sowed earlier. It definitely seems to be a hit and miss kind of herb

Comment

I sowed some yesterday so that's encouraging info!

Comment

One of the best and most successful basil growers in the UK doesn't start putting his seeds in until late May/June and doesn't plant up until July.

Try them now, shouldn't be a problem.
          TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

it can be sown all year round if growing indoors, moisten compost with warm water approx 16 to 20 degree celcius and firm down sprinkle your basil seeds and the cover with a very fine layer of compost then firm (pat down gentelly) if covering of compost is too thick they wont grow or will die as they do appear. water with the warm water until first basil pokes through then switch to normal water temperature, the warm water just aids germination and i find i get a better result, only water when compost feels about dry. this method also good for parsley and give it a warm sunny spot to start off with, mines looking great and sowed just over 2 weeks ago.

Comment

My first sowing of basil -late March in the greenhouse- didn't come up at all. Tried again on the 6th of May, and have many happy seedlings already (both normal and lemon basil). I think they like a lot of warmth, it reminds them of their native home !

Comment

Hi, I use a great deal of basil in my cooking so always have a pot in the kitchen. One for using and another with the seeds in. They germinate in only 3-4 days and are soon at a usable size. Put the pot somewhere warm with plenty of light cover with cling film and as soon as you see the basil showing take the clingfilm off and away you go. Happy eating.

Comment

Thanks. I sowed some yesterday. Placed about 6 seeds in each of two pots. Currently in the new greenhouse, but I might bring it indoors.

Comment

I'm sowing basil this week. However, to get things off to flying start, I also bought a couple of kitchen potted basil from a well known supermarket for 79p and stuck it in with my other herbs in a sunny spot - it's doing fine and putting on new growth quite happily.
                    I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X