straw for strawberries

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• straw for strawberries

any advice on the best (+ cheapest) places to get straw to lay under strawberry plants would be very welcome. Thanks

Around here a local farm sells it for a quid a bale!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

i just got some from local pet shop £2 a big bag and this did about 20 troughs that are 2foot by 1foot in size. il be getting my fruit net next week as soon will have to protect from birds as i plan to eat them this year instead of the birds.

Comment

I have 150 strawbs in pots in the polytunnel, so straw wouldn't work, so I use paper plates@50p/100. Works for me.
        http://norm-foodforthought.blogspot.com/

If it ain't broke, don't fix it and if you ain't going to eat it, don't kill it

Comment

Paper plates: inspired!
          I've never ever bothered putting stuff under my strawbs, but I might do this year. It would be shredded paper for me ... I'm not paying for straw.
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I use black weed fabric and cover the whole bed, with just the plants poking through. It is also good for catching the slugs I just look under a bit each day and usually find a few slugs.

Ian

Comment

thanks for the advice - think I might go with the shredded paper - anything to save money and recycle!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X