Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pak choi has started flowering - are they lost forever?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pak choi has started flowering - are they lost forever?

My pak choi plants have all started flowering because I left them in the greenhouse and they got too hot . The plants are only about 8 inches tall and nowhere near being ready to eat. Is it too late for them now? Will removing the flowers allow the plant to continue growing properly? Should I just compost them and start again?

Eat them!!! cut them off at the base and cut a cross in the remaining stem -they should re-shoot.

Comment

If the plants are 8" high Palborn, maybe you should have eaten them a while ago. They don't need to be in a greenhouse. Mine were planted outdoors in March and I'm eating them now. Eat what you have left and enjoy.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

This happened to me last year - they were planted out one week and flowered the next. Eat, enjoy and tickle your tastebuds as you think what you could have growing in their place. Good luck.

Tammy
        Tammy x x x x
        Fine and Dandy but busy as always

God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done

Stay at home Mum (and proud of it) to Bluebelle(8), Bashfull Bill(6) and twincesses Pea & Pod (2)!!!!

Comment

As I keep saying Pak Choi is a cool-weather crop. You'd do much better to sow it at the end of summer for an autumn/winter crop.
          It just bolts in hot weather, as you've discovered.
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Joy Larcom who popularised oriental veg reckons, as Two Sheds says, that you either need to sow early and eat small in spring, or wait till after July.
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X