runner beans

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• runner beans

I'm still a bit ( if not a lot ) of a newbie to all this , so apologies if if this has already been asked !

I want to plant some runner beans. Is it better to plant in pots first, or have I left it too late for that and should I just sow them straight in the soil ?

Also, when you do sow seeds straight into the soil, is it better to do it in any particular part of the day ? Part of me thinks it would be better morningish ( then you could keep an eye on them and they wouldn't get cold,} and the other part thinks it would be better in the evening when the soil might be warmer ?

Decisions, decisions - give me a class of 5 year olds any day -- and I gave up on that 3 years ago as well !!!

margo

It depends on the slug population of your veg patch. I put my runner seed into pots yesterday and won't plant them out until there's several large leaves well out of reach of slugs.
    Another question, I have some french runners and dwarf beans growing in pots in the greenhouse and something is munching their leaves, out of reach of slugs, any ideas what it can be and how to combat it???
    I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Do slugs get into raised beds ? What is the best way to get rid of them ?

I think I might follow your example though and put them in pots.

Comment

Originally posted by margotay View Post
        Do slugs get into raised beds ? What is the best way to get rid of them ?
        1. Yes! They are very good climbers (slimers?) especially if they scent something tasty...

2. Hunt them down and feed them to the chickens Or squash them / drown them / slice them, if you don't have chickens.

Seriously, slug/snailhunting is impressively effective. Go out at night if you can as that is when they come out to feed. Or check under any dark, moist or other suitable hiding places (under bits of wood or upturned flowerpots etc, or hiding in long grass or tall weeds). They seem to congregate together so, even if you have a major problem, once you've found maybe two or three HUGE herds (do slugs and snails come in herds? or is it "a slime of slugs"?) you've pretty much got things under control. Also, slug traps. Copper tape around plants or pots etc that you particularly want to protect, but it's quite expensive so not really viable to use it for everything.
        Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

Make life easier and create slug roosts for them too from bits of blag bin bag weighted down with a couple of stones, that way you can double your hunting time and get them during the day as well!

:-)
          My Blog is here.../

Comment

Sounds like some good ideas here - thank you.

I'll have to send hubby out on the Slug Patrol every night ! or I could always make it a competition for the grandkids - the one with the most slugs would get the prize. Don't think it would be very fair though . The 12yr old grandson is bound to win - I don't think the small grandaughters would be very impressed with slimey slugs - but you never know !!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X