Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please old potatoes!

Hi all

We have recently moved to a new house with a veg area, and there are now lots of potato plants growing - not planted by me, must have been left in from last year! Will they be ok? Can I harvest them as normal?

just leave them in what have you got to lose.
    joanne geldard

Comment

unless you desperately want to do something with the ground then I would say just leave them. Like jo jo says..what have you got to lose? You've probably got enough going on with moving into a new home I guess?! Keep us posted as to whether you get any produce though!
      "A cat sees no good reason why it should obey another animal, even if it does stand on two legs."

Comment

you should be okay, be smaller than normal but edible, I am always finding them growing in my greenhouse, my daughter calls them the baby greenhouse potatoes!
        Dont worry about tomorrow, live for today

Comment

I've got loads coming up in my onion bed ... I thought I'd dug them all out, but apparently not. I would harvest them, but I need my onions more.
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
            I've got loads coming up in my onion bed ... I thought I'd dug them all out, but apparently not. I would harvest them, but I need my onions more.
            I must of missed some last year :/ got spuds coming up on this years onions too . keep trying to kill the 3 spud plants trying too come up but the buggers arnt havnt it
            Blog

Hythe kent allotments

Comment

They might not be the best potatoes but if you're not desperate for the ground just accept the free crop. Potatoes are always liable to produce volunteers of this kind.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

But Jerusalem artichokes are worse. Ask me how I know!
                Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                  I've had exactly the same problem...you can NEVER get them all with the ones between the rows i dug a few planting holes at the far side of the bed. I then cut around with a spade and moved them as a lump to their new home the rest that were to close to onions, I've done my best to dig out and chuck.

'passenger' spuds as we know them, are generally not a good idea, as contra rotation they can perpetuate disease (particularly eelworm and blight) in the soil, apart from shading out other crops, but if you are not going to be using the land this year what the heck ...free crop...just don't grow potatoes or tomatoes there again for a couple of years

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X