when do you stop picking rhubarb?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when do you stop picking rhubarb?

Hi, is there a set time that you should stop pulling the plant and let it recover? Also, how much is it advisable to leave on the plant...3 or 4 stems or much more? I am frightened on over harvesting and killing the poor plant. Also I intend to split it in the autumn and distribute it amongst my fellow plot holders. Thanks Helen
    May all our seeds germinate and grow

Helen

I think there is an old wives tale about the devil going into the rhubarb on June 24th so you shouldn't pull it after then. But I stop pulling it when it stops looking good. The leaves contain oxalic acid and as the season goes on the acid starts to travel down the stems so don't pull it too late. You are right not to over harvest it. I would leave half a dozen stems on the crown.
    [

Comment

Thanks Lesley, I just love old wives tales about the devil. My daughter is researching into superstition and belief so must tell her that one.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Helenclare, I've been told you shouldn't pull any rhubarb after the second or third week in June but to cut off any flower stems which shoot up.
        Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Originally posted by Alice
          Thanks Lesley, I just love old wives tales about the devil. My daughter is researching into superstition and belief so must tell her that one.
          My Grandma used to say that Parsley went to the devil seven times - that's why it takes so long to germinate. It this is the case where have my bloody parsnips gone
          ntg
          Never be afraid to try something new.
          Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
          A large group of professionals built the Titanic
          ==================================================

Comment

I'm gutted as I now have loads of new growth that I was going to use in chutney and to freeze. If I pick new growth and not old, should I still be leaving well alone?
            Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

Shortie,

Having seen your rhubarb.... I really wouldn't worry about harvesting it... I don't think anything you could do to your rhubarb could possibly damage or kill it!!! If anything, it might do it some good...!!

Slug

Comment

Cheers Slug

Was wondering about the oxalic acid seeping into the stems.

You're right, I think there's no fear I'll kill this monster!
                Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

I had been wondering the same thing! This is a useful website for checking out when to pick and how to care for your rhubarb plant. BBC - Gardening - Gardening Guides - Techniques - Growing rhubarb
                  They say you can pick from May to August.
                  Last edited by Floozysooz; 29-07-2013, 03:27 PM.

Comment

There's also a nice summary in the very useful Growing Guides here on the GYO web site:

"It can be hard to resist taking a harvest of rhubarb stems the first summer after planting, but for the best results it is better to leave well alone. The initial 12 months are about establishing a good root system and bulking out the young crowns, in much the same way as asparagus should be left to develop for a few years.

In the second summer you can take two or three stems per plant, as long as you leave at least five in place. By the third year, once the clump is a good size, harvest half the sticks at a time, leaving the others to power the clump to produce further fresh stalks. They can normally be taken from May to August, although the earliest varieties may produce tender stems as soon as April in a warm spring. Forced stalks can be cut from December or January.

To harvest a stem simply slide your hand down it as far to the base as you can then smartly twist it away from the crown to snap it off."
                    My blog: www.grow-veg.uk

@Grow_Veg_UK

Comment

My rhubarb seems to be shrinking. I replanted it about a year or so ago. The plant grew about 15 -18 inches high with plenty of new shoots all the time. A lot of these leaf shoots didn't develop and just died. I haven't harvested any shoots at all. Now the plant seems to be shrinking in height. It gets regular watering but the temperature has averaged 30 C for the past week or so. Could this be the cause?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X