Flowering rhubarb

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flowering rhubarb

Why is the rhubarb on my and quite a lot of other people's plots flowering ?
    I do not remember this happening before. Does this affect the plant in any way ? Can I do anything with the flower ?

Cut the flower off and chuck it in the compost, its the crazy mixed up weather that has cause it to flower early.

Comment

I pulled 2 flowers off one plant last weekend- the others are fine.
      Don't let them flower or you'll lose the plant!
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Mine are okay so far, but I expect them to bolt any day now. See this previous thread: http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...arb_14992.html

"Rhubarb can bolt (which is what we call flowering when we don't want it to) as a response to dry, hot weather, so drought can be a cause. It can be remedied by first watering and then applying a mulch to seal in the water.
        Rhubarb can get progressively more prone to bolting as it matures, and the solution is to rejuvenate it by dividing plants every five years or so. Dig up the clump in autumn, after the leaves have died down, then use a spade to slice the crown into several sections, making sure each has a large bud. Mix compost or manure into the planting hole and plant the sections a few feet apart with the buds just above the surface. Infertile soil is another cause, so next spring, as the leaves are emerging, apply a feed such as pelleted chicken manure." Lia Leendertz: Runaway rhubarb | Conditions apply | Plant it now | Homes and gardens | Life and Health
        Last edited by Two_Sheds; 02-05-2008, 07:04 AM.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks for your advice. I feel a bit of a twit for not haing spotted the previous thread. I shall remove the flower and water and mulch and hope that the plant lives on. It has had a traumatic history having spent one year in a pot, another in a cosy raised bed and this year it has been planted straight on to the lottie (with lots of manure - my soil is chalky rubbish). Obviously it is under some stress !

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X