Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swiss Chard Monster

Hi All
    Ok, last year i had some Swiss Chard on the go and this year its on the piece of fallow gorund. Its making a takeover bid for the area and was last measured at just under 6ft. Its gone to seed now so does anyone know of any reason why i should not use them?

The only reason I can think of is taste. If it still tastes good - eat it. If not - then it's up to you. I would rescue it as soon as possible and freeze if necessary. It won't improve from here on in.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

6 ft?? Wow, hope you like it lots!
      Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

chard

in there second year they tend to go abit woody as they produce more lignin to support their massive flower heads which is why they tend to be eaten in their first year. Can't see any harm in chomping it just it will be more stringy and woody in texture, at this stage its best to chop it up and compost it.

Comment

mmm

just re-read your post and where you say is there any reason not to use them i was wonering if you meant the seed?

You could use the seed it just might not be true to type which is only a problem if your really into having the same guaranteed plants as the pack you bought. If your not then you might get some interesting plants out of them for next year

Comment

don't think Swiss Chard is an F1 hybrid, so it will be OK to save the seed for next year (or you could let it scatter itself & transplant a few to where you want them & bin the other 6 million
            ntg
            Never be afraid to try something new.
            Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
            A large group of professionals built the Titanic
            ==================================================

Comment

Thanks averyone. Will take some seeds and see what happens next season
              Marty

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X