courgettes/flee bettle?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• courgettes/flee bettle?

Just had daughter on phone in panic.She's got little black beetles on courgette leaves and inside the flowers.Do I know how to get rid of them.....NO! Can anyone out there help...Please

I think what your daughter may have is the blasted pollen beetle. They are harmless, as all they are after is the pollen. They will be attracted by the yellow of the flowers.

They have become a real nuisance since rape has been grown in the UK. There is no insecticide effective against them. Systemic insecticides kill the sap-suckers - the pollen beetle is only after the pollen - which is not affected.

They are a real pain to sweet pea growers. You go out into the garden and pick a lovely bunch of flowers, put them in a vase, and minutes later the windows are swarming with the bugs.

I am assuming that the 'little black beetles' are about the size of a black 'o'. The good news is that they are harmless, just a blankety-blank nuisance.

Hope that cheers daughter up a bit!

valmarg

Comment

Thank goodness for that. It does sound like the culprit. I've since found them on my 'sweet william' flowers and in our hanging baskets. Nice to know they are harmless as there are masses of them! They are tiny and shiney black, and I have now seen them flying(only saw them fall off when shook the plants they were on before)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X