Carrots, leeks and onions :)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrots, leeks and onions :)

I read somewhere that if you plant carrots and leeks together then carrot fly stays away. However if I do that in buckets then I won't be able to cover the leeks with soil without covering the carrots!

So I was wondering whether onions would do the same as the leeks?
    Rachel

Trying to tame the mad thing called a garden and getting there I think!

My Garden Mayhem...inspirational blog for me I hope! - updated 16/04/09

Hi Gryfon, onions, shallots, garlic- anything 'oniony' smelling is supposed to do the trick by masking the smell of the carrots.
    Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Thanks! Will put the onions and carrots together then
      Rachel

Comment

whats the problem with planting both things together? im assuming you mean grow both from seed? otherwise there wouldnt be a problem if you plant the carrot seed but transplant small leeks into the container

Comment

My dad always plants carrots & onions together. He's sure it minimises the carrot fly.

Janet

Comment

The problen was just that it's easier to cover the leeks with soil if I plant them about 1/4 way down the bucket then add soil if they grow iykwim?
            Rachel

Comment

I've heard that if you plant carrots in buckets or tall containers it stop carrot fly being able to get to your carrots as apparently they don't fly higher than about 30cm off ground level. I've just planted a large tub with carrot seeds and it's about knee high - hopefully they'll be fine.

Comment

I heard that as well, which is fine unless it's a windy day
                Rachel

Comment

Put carrots in one bucket then leeks in second bucket, then push close together.This works cos its the smell that causes the confusion.Also as Eskymo says the carrot fly can't get very high,so you would be using two methods to try and stop them!

Comment

don't quote me on the flying thing....

Comment

We have grown carrots in buckets, and kept them on a stand about 4' high, and they have still managed to get carrot root fly in them!

valmarg

Comment

there you go then - I'm talking rubbish again - just ignore me - I told you not to quote me on that one.

Comment

I think it's true that they can't fly that high, but unfortunately don't die if they get blown higher if you get me!

Will sit the buckets next to each other
                          Rachel

Comment

I think they are like Scottish midges & don't come out in windy weather.
                            Last edited by nick the grief; 30-06-2006, 11:28 PM.
                            ntg
                            Never be afraid to try something new.
                            Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                            A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                            ==================================================

Comment

You are right about the height thing eskymo,at least according to my collection of gardening books anyway. Perhaps the carrot flies need to read them!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X