Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asparagus from seed - planting distance

Hi all

Techie question ... I've grown asparagus from seed and just potted them on into 3" pots. When I plant them out can I put them in a 'holding' area (probably where they'll end up living permanently but at closer distances) to bulk their roots up? If so, how far apart do they need to be this year?

I want to grow on quite a few crowns but don't want to put them into their final positions this year coz it'll take up too much room with no output.

Hoep this makes sense and someone can advise ...
    Cheers

T-lady

I have kept some in four inch pots perfectly happily for the whole year. They are currently sprouting but I am still not able to set out as the bed on the new lottie isn't finished. Also I wish this bed to be male only so I have to wait until they have flowered -which they should do this year.

It is So important to prepare the bed well, lots of muck and no weeds or the land will be quickly worked out or over-run with weeds. Despite the effort and wait asparagus does afford quite a considerable return in food in relation to the ground occupied.... and during the hungry gap too. Easy for me to say as I'm not really in a hurry... I have a five year old fifty crown bed on my old lottie. the impotant thing is do the job right ; you won't regret it.

Thus I am considering moving them to 2 litre pots until I am ready. The advantage is that I shall be able to remove them from the pots and spread out the roots quite easily in late summer when the spuds are out and the land sorted and settled. (plus I don't have a convenient nursery bed.) I still won't be able to take a harvest from the bed next year so it is no disaster if they stay in the pots until next spring.

You could indeed set them out in a nursery bed -8" spacings would produce the best roots- but you can get away with 4" at a push. You would have to wait until next March to move them.( be really sure to mark them well) I would not attempt to dig them up in fern as obviously they would get damaged and a young plant will not have the strength to produce more.... They are the powerhouse after all. It is a pay off between space and how long it will take to produce a strong enough plant to harvest from.
    Last edited by Paulottie; 23-04-2008, 01:21 AM.

Comment

Thanks for this Paul, I hadn't considered growing them on in pots until next Spring.

You say you've had your 4" potted plants in for a whole year - when were they sown? The ones that I'm growing on were sown in late Feb 2008 and I'd like to benchmark them against yours.

PS: Were you really posting replies at 2 in the morning?
      Cheers

T-lady

Comment

Mmm It irritates Mrs P!...I often snooze off in the chair for a couple of hours, then read for a couple of hours, then go to bed!

I think I sowed them quite late in May. The label seems to be missing. It is usual to sow in April.( i have just sown another batch) They will be absolutely fine for the first season. I sowed three seeds to a pot and thinned to the strongest. Just make sure they are always fed and watered. I didn't even bring them into the greenhouse for the winter- I just put the tray of pots under a sheltered hedge at home and left a few leaves and bracken on top.

I don't think it is ideal that I am not setting them out now but hey- I think I should get away with a larger pot with fresh compost for a bit.

Comment

I planted some seeds a few months back in vending cup pots. Noticed the other day that they've got lil' baby spears on them, should I move them into bigger pots now?
          A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

I would Wayne A vending cup not very generous of you, A 4 or 5 inch pot will be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulottie View Post
              I would Wayne A vending cup not very generous of you, A 4 or 5 inch pot will be fine.
              And keep them in that until nest season, or plant out later in the year?

I'll pop out at lunch and treat them to some larger pots.
              A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

If you don't have a nursery bed they'll be great in their pots till next spring. (nesting season!)

Comment

Originally posted by T-lady View Post
                  You say you've had your 4" potted plants in for a whole year - when were they sown? The ones that I'm growing on were sown in late Feb 2008 and I'd like to benchmark them against yours.
                  I potted them on this evening here's some before and after shots!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X