runner beans

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• runner beans

You know I am an early bird but I saw yesterday that someone had planted out his runner beans, even I thought this was early, a few of us did it last year but the weather was warmer, do you think we can get away with it this year

MARION

I wouldn't risk it here but where you are you might get away with it. I wouldn't put all out but it would be worth losing a few to get an early crop, I love runners!!!! Ginny

Comment

you're getting temps of 9 degrees at night in Cornwall - you might get away with it.

If Runners/Frenchies get a frost they'll die, and even if you don't get frost, they just won't grow if it's too cold.
      Gardeners are often impatient to get their beans in early, sowing them when it is too wet and cold to germinate. Anthony Biddle, of The Processors and Growers Research Organisation, says you should have an average soil temperature of 10C, and the earliest sowing date outside for French beans is May 15.
      Beans: How to grow - Telegraph
      Last edited by Two_Sheds; 22-04-2008, 08:14 AM.
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by kittykat8 View Post
        You know I am an early bird but I saw yesterday that someone had planted out his runner beans.
        That may be us lol, or slugcrusher in the Cold Seeds thread.

We sowed them the other day in pots in the greenhouse. We know it is a bit early but they will be kept in the greenhouse until it is warm enough to put them out.

If the weather does stay cold and we lose some then that's life. We have loads of bean seeds lol.
        But on the other hand if the weather does stay in double figures like it has done for a few days, then we will have an early crop.
        Either way, we thought it was worth sowing now.

That's the beauty of growing your own veg. It's all trial and error and a great learning process.
        Last edited by Mike and Louise; 22-04-2008, 10:32 AM. Reason: Too many spelling mistake lol. Still half alseep when I posted this.

Comment

Potted mine at the weekend, they'd spent a week germinating under a damp cloth and are now in cardboard tubes, won't be planting them outside for another 4 weeks or so yet, generally tend to find that if I plant them out too small, mr slug comes along and pigs out! If I let them get to about 12 they do so much better.. love runners!
          My Blog is here.../

Comment

I haven't even sown mine yet, but I will do so this weekend and get them going indoors first and then in pots in the greenhouse for planting out later in June when frosts are over.
            Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

It is certainly too early to sow direct into the soil in the UK. It's probably ok to sow indoors now if your last frosts are mid May, but there's still plenty of growing season ahead and so no rush.

They are big seedlings which grow quickly and need prompt potting up or planting. They quickly overwhelm you (though not as much as Courgettes!) with their speed of growth.

Comment

I Risked it 3 or so weeks ago have to say they was stunted and some leafs well off. But today they seemed to of harded off ,and are growing again .. Still got my fingers crossed every morning but i think your be ok Just plant backups in your G/H . pics are on my blog if you want to see them.
                Blog

Hythe kent allotments

Comment

In our neck of the woods, runner bean day is May8th
                  A bad days fishing is still better than a good day at work!
                  There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X