Pinching out French Beans

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pinching out French Beans

I know you have to pinch out the growing tips of runner beans but my veg book and the seed packet doesn't mention this for the french beans we have just bought.

We have the Cobra (climbing) variety. Would it be wise to pinch the tips off these when they reach the height of the bamboo frame like we do with runners?

Thanks.

Sorry, Mike & Louise, I've been growing French and Runner beans for years and have NEVER pinched out the growing tips. WHY?? The growing tip is the bit that climbs up the support. If they are climbing beans they need this. Maybe if they are dwarf varieties you could pinch out to encourage sideshoots.

Comment

I have always pinched off the growing tips of runner beans when they reach the top of their support.
      You pinch these off so more energy goes towards producing flowers, and hence beans.
      Last edited by Mike and Louise; 21-04-2008, 07:54 PM.

Comment

I misunderstood you, like RustyLady has. (Pinching out = you do it to make the plant bushier, like for a fuchsia). You don't pinch out French beans.

I have re-read your post, and would agree with you. Yes, I pinch off ("stop") the growing tip once the bean reaches the top of its cane.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Yes, treat Frenchies exactly the same as runner beans with regards to pinching out the growing tip when they reach the height you want.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X