Potatoes under sheeting

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potatoes under sheeting

Apologies if this has been asked and answered - I'm sure it has but can't find it right now

I'm going to plant out my spuds under sheeting
    Do I bury them in the soil or just place them on top?
    Do I cut holes now for the green stuff to come through? Or wait till the green stuff starts growing?
    http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

I believe that you can just lay them under black plastic. I am using potatoes to help clear and break up a patch of grassland and weeds. I first covered the area with a thick layer of newspapers. I planted the spuds through holes in the newspaper- about 5'' deep. I then covered the lot with a bit of black plastic recovered from a skip. It is very tatty and torn so I put compost over the tears. I have now cut holes in the plastic as the first earlies were really pushing it up. The second earlies are also ready to be released. When there is a good growth I'm going to remove the plastic. It didn't cost and isn't worth saving.
    History teaches us that history teaches us nothing. - Hegel

Comment

Im trying this method for the first time too and wondered exactly the same thing.I planted the spuds about 5 inches deep ( I was too scared to just leave them on surface as some suggest, just didnt seem right) and put black plastic on top I have cut holes and planted thru hole and fingers crossed the shoot will come thru hole. I am a bit sceptical so took the precaution of securing the plastic firmly so it doesnt move about in which case all the holes will be in wrong place ....time will tell!

Comment

I have also planted my early potatoes under black plastic and 5" deep. My soil is sandy and I am wondering if they will get enough water. The beds are about 4 foot wide containing 2 rows of spuds. I will be cutting holes for plants to grow thro' but dont want to have to water them thro' the holes.

Comment

aaah ... i used mipex the semi permeable stuff that lets water through, i reckon you might need to work out watering system if the weather drys ...oooops WHEN the weather drys out.

Comment

cheers guys - spuds going in the ground tomorrow - and sheeting over the top
            i'll use ordinary weed control fabric as that lets the water through - i'll use the sprinkler to keep the whole veggie patch watered in the summer
            http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

I use mypex, cut holes and use a bulb planter, some times you need to tease them out the holes. I rotavate/ dig it over first. More work to start/ investment but better results.

You can stick perforated hose/ dig watering trenches under dpm plastic and just cut holes when bulges appear under the plastic. Obviously watering more tricky but cheaper method Hey!

I think I posted this in a rotavating thread the other day but heres a bit I did last year, This year I have 150 sq meters of a new plot like this! Truly a usefull method.

Ps Just stick the hose under the fabric as Sprinkling encourages blight, What's more don't be using sprinkler on uncovered parts of the plot either it will make the weeds grow. Get a water butt and water you plants with the warmed water in that directly at the plant using a can. Another good tip is to put plant pots or uptuned bottomless bottles adjacent to you plants to water into.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Paulottie; 22-04-2008, 01:15 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X