when to thin leeks?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when to thin leeks?

My leeks have all come up (shock horror after no signs of carrots, parnsips or spring onions)

When do I thin them? How big do they have to be? Packet is a bit vague, just says when they are big enough to handle, well the seeds were big enough to handle so that doesn't help me! lol

Thanks janeyo

Oh heck, you've just reminded me. I've planted leeks too before i had my labelling. I had deducted before they must be carrots. :doh:
    Last edited by ClayGarden; 16-04-2008, 07:56 PM.

Comment

mine were sown into pots. im going to transplant them when they are pencil thin.may time
      Last edited by hawthorns; 16-04-2008, 08:13 PM.
      my plot march 2013http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvzqRS0_hbQ

hindsight is a wonderful thing but foresight is a whole lot better

Comment

Where did you sow them Janey? Pots, cell trays or open ground. Important to know to answer your question.

Comment

Interesting reading the above - mine are in pots thinned outside but sheltered, im waiting for the pencil thin stage to put them out. however last year they did not seem to get that big come June i put them in anyway and they were a disaster where did i go wrong and what do i do differently this year ? Are you supposed to trim the roots when they are transplanted into the ground ?.

Comment

Where are they Janeyo. I start mine in a pot, and when they are like thin pencils / straws, I tip the whole pot out and plant them into holes. Whether you trim the roots and tops is a matter of debate. I trim the roots just because they are so long and tangled and planting is easier if they are trimmed off. Maybe they would do better if they weren't trimmed - but that's for the experts. I'm happy with what I get.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I grew leeks last year and planted them out quite late (lack of time!!).
              They were bigger than pencil thick and I trimmed the roots, and popped them into holes that were probably not deep enough. (It doesn't seem right putting them into a hole and not covering them with soil does it?!! - although I did!)
              The leeks are being harvested and are fine, although if I'd planted them deep enough they would of had more blanched white stem.

How do other people make the holes deep enough - I really struggled??

Comment

A large ball pein hammer shaft does the trick for me .
                The force is strong in this one!

Comment

I sow them in a pot then when they are chive thickness I set them out in a deep filled seed tray to give them a bit more space...I fit in 7/8 per row in about 10 lines. bring them on and plant out in June

Comment

I thought you could leave them in one pot for ages until pencil thick? I have about 30 per 6" diameter pot and was planning on leaving them for a long time yet. The leaves are about 4" long but only really like thick grass. There is a lot of growing before they reach pencil thickness. I was also planning on trimming the roots when planting on.

Oh and if you've got confused between leeks and carrots just wait a few weeks and all will come clear!
                    http://plot62.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Matt. View Post
                      I thought you could leave them in one pot for ages until pencil thick? I have about 30 per 6" diameter pot and was planning on leaving them for a long time yet. The leaves are about 4" long but only really like thick grass. There is a lot of growing before they reach pencil thickness.
                      thing is, if they are crammed in they have no room to ever get to pencil thickness.
                      Personally, I sow 2 or 3 seeds to a cell (it's not an exact science ... gardening isn't)
                      I leave them until they look strong enough to stand up for themselves - pencil thickness ideally - then plant them out on the lottie.
                      I firm the soil with my boot, then make a hole about 6" -8" deep with a sharpened spade/broom handle. Drop in the leek, fill hole carefully with water. Don't fill with soil, leave it because the leek will grow to fill the hole.
                      Some people trim the roots, some don't. Do half-and-half to see which method you prefer.
                      BTW, I don't pull up my leeks to harvest, I cut them off about an inch below the soil. That way, they regrow and you get a 2nd dinner from them.
                      Last edited by Two_Sheds; 18-04-2008, 08:02 AM.
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

They are in the ground and about 3 inches up, and v spindly and close together. Guess I wasn't as thin as I hoped when sowing!

janeyo

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X