Growing Pumpkin in Scotland

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growing Pumpkin in Scotland

We buy loads of pumpkin & butternut squash and would love to grow our own. Is it possible in Scotland? If so, how? Would I be able to grow them in a low sided raised bed and let them do their thing across a large gravelled area that I consider a waste.

i tried butternut last year with no success! however this year, I'm determined to grow lots of different squash....like you guys, I buy lots through the year for various recipe/cooking things. i've got quite a bit of gravelled area too, so am hoping to use my border to grow the squash, and let them trail over the gravel with a bit of protection underneath! i'malso growing one or two in very deep pots with a support system. i'm sure another grape will advise to what's right and what's not!
    "A cat sees no good reason why it should obey another animal, even if it does stand on two legs."

Comment

Hey Dee

Ok, keep me posted on your progress, don't want to waste a bed if it's not going to happen, hopefully some of the other grapes can give us more info.
      Last edited by amandaandherveg; 16-04-2008, 06:28 PM.

Comment

I've ordered some "Hunter" squash seeds to try, just in case we get another cool year:

Marshalls Seeds Product Detail- 1020-2145: Squash Hunter Seeds

It says "as far north as Lancashire", but maybe it's worth trying them in Scotland if you have a sheltered spot to grow them?

Comment

Hmm, Lancashire huh? I've got some raised beds in a sheltered spot with lots if gravel at the side. Does one seed equal one squash? Can anyone recommend any other varieties that may also work?

Comment

I grow pumpkins in NE England which aint a 'Kick in the bott' off Scotland!

I'm growing Atlantic Giant again this year but it needs to be on soil because wherever it touches, it roots and gives extra nutrients to the plant!
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

is that the same for smaller squash do you think?
              "A cat sees no good reason why it should obey another animal, even if it does stand on two legs."

Comment

I hope so because I'm growing some pumpkins this year.

Steven
                http://www.geocities.com/nerobot/Bir...shingThumb.jpg

Comment

Well that's three of us then, you, me and Dee. What you growing?

Comment

I tried butternut and carnival squash last year and got one fruit on the carnival plant, but lots of leaves. I think I'm too far north, but worth giving it ago Amanda.
                    ~
                    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                    ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Just emailed a friendly seed supplier and asked them to recommend something suitable.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X