Calabrese - how to grow from seed

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calabrese - how to grow from seed

Hi This is my first posting. Has anyone got advise on getting calabrese to grow from seed, I can get it to germinate all looks good then all my seedlings go yellow and die.

I'm a newbie currently growing calabrese in a seed tray on a sunny windowsill. I just popped some multi purpose compost into the seed tray cells, popped in the seeds and stuck on the sill with a propogator lid on. They've been there for 6 days now and seem to be doing fine. This of course was more by luck than design as I don't really know what I'm doing.

Comment

too hot? too wet?

I sow mine in the cold garage and they sprout and will grow slowly but surely; then they go out in to the ground and take off from there. I don't often water them either, they like it a bit dry.

Comment

Like zazen says, broccoli and other brassicas like it cool and a bit dry. Germinate them indoors if you must, but put them out into a cold frame or fleece-covered bed as soon as they are up (maybe bring them indoors at night if a sharp frost is forecast and they are still tiny). Mine got a bit too wet last year and I lost a few that way, but they definitely don't like heat.

Comment

If you want really delicious calabrese, plant Romanesco - they are really superb and should be eaten on their own (perhaps with a little butter.

Comment

I start mine off in the greenhouse (unheated) till they show in a week or so. I pick them out 2 to a pot and then in a while choose the strongest and then put them outside somewhere sheltered and only water when dry. We are currently eating the best purple sprouting broccoli planted last year so keep trying

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X