Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When will I know when my potatoes are ready?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When will I know when my potatoes are ready?

I got some nice organic potatoes at the store last fall.

Cut them up, buried them

They have grown big, I buried them. So now I have this big ol mound. The plant keep popping up.

When is it time to start digging?

how much should I water.

How do I store?

Can you tell it is my first season as a potatoe farmer

Have a bit of a scratch round the roots and see what is there you do not have to dig the whole plant up just because there are spud's just pick the bigger one's and leave the smaler to grow on good luckjacob
    What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
    Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

As Jacob said, have yourself a furtle (been ages since I've used that word!) around the roots, get yorands in there!

As for watering, just make sure they're not waterlogged and you should be fine. Bit like sponges as far as I remember, the more you water (within reason) the bigger the spuds - providing you've fed the ground well too.

Storing - well, this depends on what type they are. If they're 1st or 2nd earlies, it's best to leave thm in the ground until you need them. Main crop spuds can be stored for longer, but you dig them up and let them dry in the sun, then keep them somewhere cool and covered. Make sure you discard any diseased or semi-eaten ones before storing though. Using hessian sacks is the most common practise I believe, or paper ones, but I kept mine in a tub trug under the stairs and they seemed ok.

Last year was my first year growing anything, and spuds were my first crop. They'll always hold a special place in my heart and on my plot.

Good luck.
      A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

I'd go by the length of time and the type of spud. Earlies want about 12 weeks to maturity, Second earlies about 14/15. You need to leave maincrops about 18 - 20 weeks.

HeyWayne - you updated your blog on 13th APRIL kiddo!
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Bibbo - welcome. Where are ya? You sound like you're from across the pond..
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post

HeyWayne - you updated your blog on 13th APRIL kiddo!
            Nice to see someone's watching. It was a test, no honest, it was.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Oooh, i still dont like digging my hands in the dirt, still dont like the creepy crawlies

Comment

Originally posted by ClayGarden View Post
                Oooh, i still dont like digging my hands in the dirt, still dont like the creepy crawlies
                You'd better take up knitting instead then

Comment

I like knitting AND getting my hands in the dirt! (so do you, TS, admit it!) You can do both.

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                    I like knitting AND getting my hands in the dirt! (so do you, TS, admit it!) You can do both.
                    I don't know much about knitting, but knitting one, pearling one must be a bit if a struggle with a fork in your hand?

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                      Bibbo - welcome. Where are ya? You sound like you're from across the pond..
                      That is why i did not use furtle thoght it might stump e'm jacob
                      What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
                      Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

Originally posted by HeyWayne View Post
                        I don't know much about knitting, but knitting one, pearling one must be a bit if a struggle with a fork in your hand?
                        Nah, you just pop it behind your ear for later.

Comment

I just found this forum...i am in the Bay Area, California...Yes across the pond.

Cant remember when I planted the potatoes. Someone said something about them flowering and then dying back. I would know then. Any truth here?

As the plant grows I put more dirt on it. So it is a big mound.

Also any problem with taking potatoes from the store(organic) and using those as starters. Some one mentioned something about toxicity? Any truth?

Comment

using seed potatoes is best but you can grow from potatoes bought for eating ....if they start to sprout then they should grow....
                            they are ready when the flowers are finished but rather than dig the plant up in its entirety .....as folks have said there is nothing like a footle/furtle around in the earth to search for small potatoes with your fingers ..and take a few at a time...great fun
                            http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...gs/jardiniere/

Comment

Originally posted by bibbo View Post
                              Cant remember when I planted the potatoes. Someone said something about them flowering and then dying back.

As the plant grows I put more dirt on it. So it is a big mound.

Some one mentioned something about toxicity? Any truth?
                              Some potatoes flower, some don't. If they start dying back, then definitely have a look underneath - they should be ready. They go toxic (green) if the light reaches the tubers, so keep mounding them up with earth, or mulch with grass clippings to exclude the light.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X